Review by Ofisil

"The Super Sonic Bros."

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is a Platform game developed by Sega. In my opinion the first game of the series gained popularity mostly because it was the rival of the Super Mario series. Of course it wasn't just that… it WAS a good game after all. However it was far from being a true classic like SMB3 or SMW for example. The second Sonic title is pretty much the same game with the original. No real innovations, no change of the game's overall mechanics and so on. It is improved though… not greatly improved but improved. Unfortunately it is just a very good game and not a fantastic one…

Replay Value: 4/10

Sonic The Hedgehog 2, like the original, keeps the game formula fairly simple. No innovations, no real improvements, it is just a good run & jump game as before… however it IS better! One of the complains I've had with the original was the fact that while it claimed it was a game build for insane speeds it wasn't since after the first 2 levels the game becomes a slow step-by-step charade of instant-death traps and enemies all around them. Sonic 2 brings the needed speed in the franchise with levels having less traps and more places where you can run as fast as you want. Second slight improvement, which may go unnoticed, is the fact that the controls are a bit better with Sonic having less slippery feet and better response times. In the end though, it's just another sonic game. Your purpose? Reach the end of each stage and collect golden rings along the way that serve as your health points. You get damaged and the rings start flying around for a couple of seconds so that you can re-collect some of them. Also if you reach a checkpoint with more than 50 rings you enter a very entertaining bonus game that gives you the opportunity to gather a chaos gem. Collecting 7 gems doesn't only change the ending like in the first game but also enable you to become super sonic, so collecting the gems as fast as possible, (uber hard!!!), means that the games becomes a lot more easier. The only real addition is Tails, a fox that follows you around and mimics your moves and sometimes follows his own path, collecting rings and killing enemies. There is also a split screen 2-Player mode where you can compete with your friend in a Sonic Vs Tails game. Sonic The Hedgehog has a big problem though… it is very repetitive. Levels may look different but they are pretty much the same. Avoid traps, jump from platform to platform, collect rings, kill the boss of the area, rinse, repeat. By the time I've reached the Mystic Cave Zone, (fifth world I think), I was like, “Are we there yet???”.

Graphics: 9.5/10
Design: 7.8/10
Music: 8/10

While the improvements aren't exactly vast the games does look better than the first game, (and than most of the Mega Drives in general). The Spites are slightly larger and the animation of Sonic and Tails is great. The various levels are pretty similar to the ones of the first game but once again a lot better, more detailed and with a greater feeling of depth and distance. Overall a great looking game. In the sound department there isn't any improvement and to say the truth I didn't expect any… why? Because even the first game had great sound quality. The sound effects are crystal clear and wonderful and the music themes retain the catchiness of the first game's ones with some of them still ringing in my head.

[+]:
-A very good fast paced platformer although simple
-A split screen 2-player mode
-Great graphics and music

[-]:
-Too repetitive
-Nothing really new

Also Play:
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Mega Drive)
Super Mario Bros 1 & 3 (NES)
Super Mario World (SNES)

Overall: 7.4/10

While STH2 is a lot better than the original I honestly don't see any reason why you should buy it if you have any other Mega Drive STH game in your collection. Buy it only if you are a collector or something or if you haven't played a Sonic game before.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/10

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (US, 11/24/92)