Review by Doctrine Dark

"It is a classic just like the original."

By now every gamer should know who Sonic the Hedgehog is(If you don't then you are in the wrong place buddy). The first one made Sega a known name and it could be one of the reasons why the Genesis was a success. Well about one year later the sequel was released and it pushed Sonic's popularity even further and not to mention it introduced the fox we all know as Tails. Is the sequel better then the original though? If you want to know that answer then read on.

Gameplay
The gameplay here is almost unchanged from the original as you do the usual stuff you do in a 2D side scroller and that is a good thing. The special stages where you get the chaos emeralds are now redone and this time they have Sonic(and Tails don't forget) in a 3D first person mode type setting where he tries to get the recommended amount of rings to get the emerald. Collecting all the emeralds and getting at least 50 rings allows you to become Super Sonic for a short amount of time and while you are like that you can just plow through your enemies(collecting all the emeralds also gives you a different ending). Lets move on now.

Graphics
Sonic's sprite is the same as it was in his first adventure but the game does use some Mode 7 type graphics like in the background of the Green Hill Zone and in the Special Zones. To this day I still think that the graphics in Sonic 2 are some of the best I have seen on the Genesis and they were the best seen back in good old 1992.

Control
Guess what no matter what button you press you will jump so the control is very easy to learn. Sonic now has a new turbo roll(I forget what the official name for it is) which comes in handy when you try to go through those loops.

Sound
I liked the music and it is some of the best I have heard on a Sonic game(it only rivals Sonic Adventure's music on the Dreamcast). The old sound effects like when you jump, destroy a robot, or the crash that you hear when you attack Robontnik's ship are still present here too.

Replay
Sure this game has replay value and lots of it. The main game is fun and so is trying to get the chaos emeralds. If you do get tired of this game(which is not likely) just find a Sonic and Knuckles plug in cart(assuming if don't have one) and put Sonic 2 into that and now you can play as Knuckles which is still the same game but it is something different.

Final Word
If you really are a Sonic fan but you don't have this game then I must say you really aren't what you say you are. To answer the question that I asked in the intro yes this game is better then the already good original. This is defiantly a must have Genesis game and you won't regret buying it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/03/01, Updated 04/03/01