Review by tuvok47

"My favorite of the original three Sonic games!"

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the eagerly anticipated sequel to the original Genesis release, Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega came flying in, on a worldwide launch date no less, with great improvements. This is yet another classic Sonic game, easily.

Graphics – 10/10

The regular levels feature smashing details, from multiple scrolling backgrounds to highly textured ground and skies to animated portions. Sonic looks better than ever, as does the (then) new Miles “Tails” Prower. The sense of speed seems even faster than the first one, with levels flying by at what could easily be up in the hundreds of kilometers per hour! Also, the enemies (especially the Robotnik bosses) are well animated and detailed as well.) But, the special stages are where the really amazing graphics are, at least in my opinion. You run with even more detailed sprites of Sonic and Tales down what look like three-dimensional half pipes, filled with rings and evil bombs. All this and the speed is still there. Wow.

Sound – 9/10

Sonic 2 easily has some of the best 16-bit Sonic songs ever. Specifically the music from the Metropolis Zone, the boss music, the invincibility and the music from the special stages. Vocals aside, the music easily tops some of the 32-bit soundtracks, though not all of them (Can’t forget Sonic R, now can we?) Also, all of the trademark Sonic sounds are there, although some have changed.

Gameplay – 10/10

Added to Sonic 2 was the Super Spin Dash, which allowed you to build up speed and crash into enemies or speed through those devious loop-de-loops. Each zone has two levels (unlike Sonic 1’s three) but they are longer than the originals’ and they pack more detail in. Sonic moves effortlessly, with the same easy controls. Tails, the new playable character, cannot fly in this version, but still is a great one to play as. Also, when a certain task is completed, Sonic becomes the invincible and super-fast Super Sonic! New is a two-player mode, which is a neat addition, although the graphics in that mode have a strange look about them. Plus, the special stage is still fun today as it was when I first played this classic. It should be noted that there is no save feature in this game.

Overall – 10/10

One of the games that made me go out and buy a Genesis again, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 features great 16-bit graphics, a superb musical score, classic video game sounds and addictive gameplay. A classic all around.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/29/01, Updated 04/29/01