Review by LordAtomic

"The best in the series, but not by very much."

Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It's the most popular of the main Sonic the Hedgehog series, and with very good reasons. It is easily, without a doubt, the most fun game in the series to play. This time, Sonic returned with improved graphics, more/better levels, and a twin-tailed fox buddy named Miles ''Tails'' Prower.

Well, it's getting better. Many of the visual problems with the original, such as bland colors and graphical glitches, have been fixed. As a matter of fact, it's really cool to watch someone zip through an entire level and see all of the colors zoom by. Unfortunately, like before, the picture could be sharper.

Uh...nothing has changed. I'll refer to the paragraph from my original Sonic the Hedgehog review for this one:

''A boing here, a crash there. Nothing is incredibly stupid, but nothing is totally special, either. The SFX are clear and do fit the adventurous feel of the game, however. Sadly, the SFX are never improved upon in any of the sequels.''

Music: 9/10
Eh...not as catchy as before. The tracks still fit the mood, but I don't hum the tunes for Sonic the Hedgehog 2 as much as I did the Sonic the Hedgehog 1's music.

Game Play: 10/10
It's Sonic the Hedgehog, what did you expect? It takes roughly .002 seconds to master the controls, the difficulty isn't too easy or difficult, and everything is incredibly addictive. (There is no doubt you'll play for hours and hours on end) Plus, with a high amount of levels, there is a lot of replay value.

Buy/Rent?
With it's great graphics, excellent sound, and unbeatable game play, there is no doubt that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a must buy. As of 6/10/01, here are all the ways I know of to obtain this game:

Buy the original cartridge. (Of course)
Buy Sonic Jam for Saturn. (Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is on there)
Buy Sega Smash Pack 2 for PC. (Same as above)
Get a Genesis emulator and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ROM (You can find both a www.plasticman.org)

Bottom Line
This game is just BARELY the best in the series. But even so, it's vital to anyone with a Sega Genesis, even if you own the original Sonic the Hedgehog. It's better than any Sonic game you could possibly buy on the Dreamcast.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/11/01, Updated 10/06/02