Review by HisDudeness

"Better than the first, but still fairly marginal."

Ugh. Well, not as much as before. Sega felt that everyone’s favorite hedgehog deserved a makeover, so in 1992, they come out with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. If you have read my review of the first Sonic game, you will know that I did not like it that much. With a new facelift comes new features, with this new game comes multiplayer, the first to be able to connect with the new Sonic And Knuckles expansion cart, and an all new character, Tails. Other than that, though, I’m sorry, it’s just the same old, fuddled up adventure that we saw a year ago.

Evidently Sega doesn’t have an original bone in any of their thousands of workers. The story is, once again, Robotnik decides to steal all of Sonic’s little Anipals, and Sonic feels like getting up and doing something about it! Ooh, you’re bad now sonic, you mother-WATCH YOUR MOUTH! Well, at least this time, one of his little pals escaped, Tails, a fox that now has the superpower of being able to fly. I’m sorry, but even Crash Bandicoot’s game storylines have been better than this! Come on sonic, introduce some new plot, or some new meanie, something more than just a new colleague.

This is better than the original. This time, you have more of a variety of enemies around for you to kill, rather than just 6 or 7 models like we saw in the original sonic. More details have been added to your characters altogether, with sonic now looking sleek and shiny, and all enemies having their own distinct moves and ways of trying to kick your ass. And, it’s nice to see that more variety have been implemented in the levels than before than just your average level (Having a rock there, a tree there, and an enemy there, etc.). But, I’m sorry, but they still need to fix those backgrounds. All they consist of this time is the main color of the level, such as in the aqua zones, they’re dark blue bricks, and in the jungle zones, they’re just blue, colorless skies. No clouds, no nothing. Just a sky. The same problem with the frame rate is in this game as well, as if you’re going too fast, you’re bound to run into some hazard that hasn’t been edited into the game. This also goes into the category of pop up, as it is just plain nasty with stuff like this. I’m sorry Sega, but this is a fast paced game. If you just can’t get the game to be as fast as the character, give it up.

Control: 7/10
Basically the same as the last time, but with a few new twists. With sonic, the same problems plague him this time as it did as they did last time. Jumping and coming down too hard and fast, the stupid additive of that rev roll thing which is very unneeded, and now, the controls have gotten kinda sticky, such as when I’ll tell him to reverse, he won’t stop until about 2 seconds later. But, I’m glad to see that Tails actually handles better than Sonic! He doesn’t go as fast, and is a lot easier to maneuver around, for some reason. Plus, when you enter flight, he controls fairly smoothly, without that many problems. But, same as before, you have run, jump, and a new rev roll button, which makes it easier to rev roll than in the first one, for the few times that you have to do it that is.

Sound And Music: 8/10
Greatly improved, I must say! The tunes have a more modernized feel than the first one, and this time, the tunes are longer, more upbeat, and you won’t get too tired of them. Sound comes through a bit crackly some times, but most of the time, you can deal with it. And yes, I tested it on 2 TV’s, both of them newer ones, not the same brand, and they still made the crackling. But, Another problem is that sometimes, the music doesn’t fit the stages. For example, the jungle mode didn’t have some scary jungle theme, it sounded more like some Blur album. Pretty crappy, if you ask me. If they could only get the stage music to fit in with the stage, this would have been a 10/10.

Well, this gameplay is basically the same as the first. In sonic 2, you are sonic, and you basically run around and jump on enemies, although this time, it just seems a bit more fun this time around for some reason. One major improvement that I saw is that there are many more stages in this game, such as the Oil Rig zones, and the Mine Zones. All in all, there are now 9 different areas instead of the 6 in the previous game. And, each stage has 3 levels, which makes 27 levels in all, better than the previous games 19. And, overall, the zones are just cooler than the last game’s levels, namely the blah Green Hill zones and the very quirky and stupid Casino zones. But, there is a downside to this now. With how the last game was shorter, and easier than this one, this one takes a long time to beat, so unless you have about 3 hours to kill, don’t try to play this game all the way through. I remember it took me about 3 ½ hours to beat it. Another upside to the game is that the boss battles with Robotnik are more strategic this time around. Such as in the jungle zones, you need to time your jumps with how the arrows come out of poles that magically appear out of the ground. Another new element is how you’re able to stay underwater unlike the last game, but for a limited time. I remember one occurrence with a friend of mine, where I just barely made it out of the water in time, in the 2nd zone. And, there is a new pole-swinging feature in a few of the levels. The same tried and true formula is back with the strategy of secret areas, and this is even more expanded with tails being available. But, the game fails greatly in multiplayer. It was a race for who could get through the level like 10 times the fastest, and you can turn off powerups and stuff, but other than that, it’s just a hugely blah race. I truly was hoping for more. And, the reason why this is 8/10 is, even with all these other additives, it just is the same old game.

Fun Factor: 6/10
WARNING. Extreme doses of Sonic The Hedgehog 2 will amount to overall frustration, especially in the last few zones, which in my opinion are VERY hard. After wasting an hour trying to get this far, and then losing it all to robotnik’s new Mechanized sonic, who is practically a last boss, and then, even if you don’t lose, going up against ROBOTNIK’s big ol’ battle egg of doom. Hey, with tails though, it can be quite fun zooming around all those levels.

Difficulty: 6/10
Sweet Lord God. As I said, the first few stages of the game are okay, but once you get to about the last 10 levels of the game, you’ll be wasting quite a few lives. There are some times when you may think that jumps are makable, but with the quirky controls, they really aren’t. And then, one other thing that I hate is the last battle. First off, you go against the mechanized sonic, which is very hard already, and then, you have to go up against Robotnik, who I had no idea of how to beat until I stumbled onto it by accident.

Replay Value: 6/10
This game just doesn’t have the pick up and play feel that the other game had. Just a few too many stages were implemented here, and just a bit too much difficulty, and the multiplayer virtually sucks. Except for the co op mode in the regular game, that is. That kind of makes it worth it. And while it does have a few too many stages, if a gamer has a while to kill, he could easily beat it. That is, if he knew what he was doing.

Whatever The recap Brings..I’ll be…There….

Control: 7/10
S+M: 8/10
FF: 6/10
Difficulty: 6/10
RV: 6/10

Overall total: Hmmm…Carry the 5…

6.37 out of 10

Overall: 6 out of 10.

On a final note: To buy?
Well, this time, I say yes. Even though I am still giving it a 6, it is better than the first, and this time is a game worthy of checking out.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/14/01, Updated 06/14/01