Review by Tokyo Fusion

"Run in SONIC SPEED to your nearest game store! It's the BEST game in the entire series!"

Sega Genesis is could have been the console that no one noticed. But thanks to the popular “Sonic” series, at least the now defunct 16-bit console gets some decent recognition.

Out of all the three “Sonic the Hedgehog” games, I particularly loved the second installment the most. It’s funny to say that being in the middle beats the prequel and the sequel. I loved this game to death, I tell you. Anyway, on to the review.

The graphics in STH2 looked slightly improved. Comparing it to the first game which consisted of bland mazes and labyrinths, the levels in this game are all beautiful. I personally liked the beautiful setting of the Aquatic Ruins Zone, my favorite level in the whole entire series. Sonic looked the same. His new buddy, Tails looked cute. The enemies looked great as well. The “3D-ish” bonus area appeared very nice too.

The music in STH2 is my favorite in the entire series. They are addicting to listen to. It’s really catchy and you might find yourself humming the well-composed tunes. My ultimate favorites are the sinister-sounding Boss theme, the 50’s-cartoonish Casino Night Zone, the fast-paced future techno of the Chemical Plant Zone and the Metropolis Zone, the epic Aquatic Ruin Zone, and the slow and sad Sky Zone. Sounds are pretty cool to hear especially Sonic’s charge dash that sounds like the hedgehog’s revving up like an engine.

Controls are easy to pull off, the moves are not very complicated and it only requires a few buttons to execute it.

There are a few new gameplay elements in STH2. Sonic can now charge dash allowing him to zoom faster through the stage. His flying squirrel sidekick tails is also “playable”. There is also a 2-player mode where two players can race each other to the finish line in one of the four available stages while grabbing the most rings and powerups. And if you think that Sonic’s new dashing ability isn’t fast enough, he can also transform into Super Sonic (providing that you obtain all the seven chaos emeralds in the bonus levels), which turns him into an invincible speed devil. The levels are tougher than ever. The enemies are more deadlier and the traps are more annoying. This makes the game more challenging than the first.

Replay value is medium. After beating this game, you might find yourself playing the game again but not too often. You might find the two-player mode fun with a friend, so why not try it out?

Overall, STH2, is one of the Sega’s highlights and one of the best games ever made. A definite purchase if you own Sega Genesis.

Music/Sound:10/10
Control: 10/10
Replay Value: 8/10
Fun Factor: 9.5/10

OVERALL: 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 08/14/01, Updated 03/23/03