Review by cutiepie

"A pretty good sequel!"

~ Introduction ~
Sonic the hedgehog 2, sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis, is a pretty good game for people who've enjoyed the first Sonic games. And a small bonus: a new friend is with Sonic! Miles “Tails” Prower finds Sonic very cool and follows him everywhere, unless you don’t want him to. Not to difficult to play, but not easy either. The graphics are great, and the plot is laid out well, even though its still the same one. Um… also, I must add it's very good for beginner console players. Why? The controls are insanely……… easy.

~ Gameplay ~
The story? Anyone who’s played the other Sonic games or even read the comics won’t have a hard time understanding the plot: Collect rings and the Chaos Emeralds as well as saving Earth and defeating Dr. Robotnik with his evil machines. There. Not complicating at all, right?
Ok… This game is not hard. Yet it's also not easy. I’d say it’s somewhere in the middle of those two difficulty levels. The stages aren’t impossible, although some may need some time to pass. Some of the Bosses are absolutely PATHETIC. They hardly do anything and its easy to defeat them.
Ah. Fun. For me, Sonic’s games have always been fun. It’s interesting to find new routes that lead to hidden passage ways and secret item boxes and rings! My point – this game is very fun. And you dont have to play alone, there is an option that lets you play with a partner if you seem bored.

~ Story ~
Bleh… here we go again! So, once again for those who might have missed it: Collect the rings and enter Special Stages to collect the Chaos Emeralds and become Super Sonic, as well as trying to free the animal citizens of Earth and trying to defeat Dr. Robotnik and his machines. Get it? Pretty simple.

~ Audio/Video ~
This is definitely the most interesting and taken-care-of thing in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The stages are beautifully designed, and so are the moves of Sonic and Tails. The colors are very well picked out and they stand out a lot! I’d say this is a very colorful game. The Special Stages are also very well made, being elaborate and flashy. The flashing horizon and the Chaos Emerald itself is really nice, shimmering like that!
The music! I cant seem to describe it! But here’s a try: the music fits in perfectly into the stages. Oil Ocean has an “oily” sound to it, while Sky Chase is peaceful and calm, just like up there in the sky! The Special Stages may make you a bit nervous while trying to avoid bombs and collecting enough rings to pass. And the Super Sonic theme is great! Lots of entertainment is added because of the music. Without any stage music or sound affects, this game wouldnt be worth even a 2!

~ Controls ~
There is probably no other game with simpler controls. Let me think… if I’m still able to remember properly, you use about 3-4 buttons to move Sonic about. Simple, huh? You’d have to be very stupid to not be able to use these controls – THEY’RE JUST TOO SIMPLE! And that’s why Sonic doesn’t do very many super cool moves… Unless you co-ordinate the buttons in a special way…but that’s said in a FAQ. This game includes multi-player for both competing against a friend and/or playing with him (as the leading one: Sonic, or as the sidekick: Tails.)

~ Replay Value ~
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is just a game with the words REPLAY written all over it with big red letters. You can play this game many, many, MANY times without getting too bored! And the codes & secrets for this game may make you enjoy it even more! The stages are a good way to spend free time if it's raining outside and you've got nothing else to do.

~ To buy or to rent? That is the question… ~
Buy. Renting would be pretty pointless, seeing as it may take you a while to figure out most of the fun things in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It’ll take quite some time to get all the Chaos Emeralds and become Super Sonic, not to mention finishing the game as well! But really, its your decision on whether you buy this game (yes, buy it!!!) or just rent it to try out. Try asking all the people you know who have Sonic the Hedgehog 2. See what they say… Another good place to ask: the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 board. Most of the people there have played Sth2, and they may help you decide.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/02, Updated 10/24/02