Review by L4H4002

"Sonic's still alive and he's better than ever!!!"

Sonic the hedgehog 2

Yes, I'll admit it. Sonic is just one of those games you can pick up and beat it in one day. That doesn't take away from the value of it, though. It is still one of the most treasured games of all time. Even now, in 2004, I still play it once in a while. It's graphics are vivid. it's unique, versatile music lingers in my mind when I sleep, and the gameplay is off the hook. I give a thumbs up to the hedgehog that can fly through stages in a split second and whir through 3d tunnels like a relentless tornado that never stops. Sure, graphically, there are way better games today. All the games out on the market specialize in dazzling 3-d effects and characters that look like they were plucked from Earth and thrown right into a video game. Those games are good, but nothing can beat a good old fashioned romp through Emerald Hill Zone. Let me explain.

Storyline 10/10:
Don't worry. The story for this game will not have you scratching your head in confusion. You will not have to read it over and over again just to understand it. If you play Final Fantasy a lot, this is a nice break. It's a really simple story. Basically, Robotnik has captured all of Sonic's animal friends and turned them all into robots for his pleasure. It is Sonic's job to rescue his transformed friends and while doing so, he can also receive all the chaos emeralds so that Robotnik won't use them to beam up his power. There's no telling what Robotnik would do if he had all the emeralds in his hands. That's basically the story in a nutshell. There's not much else to it.

Gameplay 10/10:
This game has such a unique style of gameplay. In most platform games, you will find yourself jumping myriad platforms in order to reach the boss or the end of the stage. Sonic, on the other hand, has revolutionized a whole new style of gameplay. No more falling off of platforms only to die because there's nothing below you. In Sonic 2, you can either blaze through the level in a few seconds using your super spin (a great new addition that wasn't in Sonic 1) or you can take the time to collect rings and receive emeralds by participating in special stages. Either way, the levels aren't going to take more than around five minutes to complete. Also quite unique in Sonic games is way the levels are divided up. This game is divided into zones and in each zone, except for a couple, there are two levels. At the end of the second level, there will be a boss that will range from super easy (first zone) to ridiculously hard (final zone). If you're like me, you will enjoy the challenge and will want to play until you can beat the last boss with your eyes closed.

Graphics 10/10:
For the early 1990s, this game had amazing graphics and the 3-d special stages were out of this world. These graphics were as good as it got. But now technology has created graphics that are far, far superior to these puny 2-d cartoons. “So why would I want to play Sonic anymore?” Well, after playing Medal of honor, Resident Evil, and maybe some Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, you will remember the days of good where the graphics were simple and you didn't have to use the analog stick to turn your character so he/she can proceed to the next room. The bright, almost paper-like, characters and enemies will turn your heart into a puddle. They will turn your frown upside down The enemies range from bright red to bright blue to bright orange. This whole game is like one big piece of eye candy. Eye candy makes a great game.

Music 10/10:
OMG! The music is so awesome. From the jungle-like music in Emerald Hill Zone to the almost magical, soaring music of Sky Chase zone, the music never fails to keep me playing. The magical music of Sky Chase is reason itself to buy this game. I still have the music in my head after weeks without playing the game. The music of Sonic the Hedgehog will last you a lifetime. Music is definitely a key factor in this game. If you are looking for some classic video game music, definitely play this game. This music is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Sure, you can't compare it to the orchestrated music of Final Fantasy VII, but those are two totally different games and Sonic's music isn't far off. It's pure 16-bit goodness.

Concept 9/10:
This game sort of mixes a few concepts from other games, but also has some of it's own. Basically, what you're trying to do in each level is rescue all your friends by killing all the robots that they are trapped in. Jumping on enemies and killing them. Blah blah blah. That's the kind of concept every game has, right? But in this game, it's a lot funner to super spin into your enemies instead of jumping on them. Bye bye jumping on enemies via Super Mario. Hello bashing your enemies senseless using your super spin via Sonic the hedgehog.

Replay value 7/10:
Well, this isn't one of those games where there are a lot of side quests and you can spend 30 or more hours just completing them. And if you played this game everyday like some other games, it probably would get a little boring. But there are the chaos emeralds. If you didn't collect them all the first time through, it's an incentive to go through the game another time. I'm not gonna tell you what will happen when you get all the emeralds, but if you're any kind of a Sonic fan, then by now in 2004, you should know what happens when you collect them all and it is pretty cool. It's worth collecting all the emeralds. Plus, it gives you another reason to play the game many more times.

The bottom line is that this is a game that you will want to have in your collection. When you've played enough of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid, just bring out your trusty Sega Genesis and have the time of your life with Sonic. I guarantee he will not let you down. You will cherish this game for the rest of your life. You should be proud to have it on your shelves.

Overall rating: 10/10