Review by SuperYoshi

"Still the greatest Sonic game ever to grace our thumbs."

Warning! Nostalgic rambling ahead!

When I was a small child, I didn't have many games I loved besides Super Mario Bros., Paperboy, Punch-Out!!, and Tetris. Then, the NES eventually broke. So, I kind of forgot about games for a year or so, give or take a month or two. Then, when I was 3/4 years old. My parents got me something. The Genesis 2 boxed with Sonic 2, not to mention Aladdin, which my parents got as a second game, but this review's about Sonic 2, ain't it? Heh. I immediatly fell in love with this game. I played it whenever possible. After that, I got caught on to the Sonic madness. Bought Sonic 1 soon after, watched the 2 shows, bought the plushies, etc. etc. All in all, I loved Sonic from when I first layed my eyes on Sonic 2.

Nostalgic rambling completed, you may now proceed with the review normally

Now, onto the review!

Graphics- 10/10
For 1992, these graphics were 100% top-notch. Sonic's sprites have been completely re-done for the better (I actually like these sprites more than Sonic 3's), and one of the most memorable moments for anyone. The amazing Special Stage. The 3D effects were simply amazing for Genesis. Also, barely any noticeable slowdown, which is a good thing for such a fast game.

Control- 10/10
Simplicity is always best. Same controls as Sonic 1, all 3 buttons jump/spin dash. D-pad moves you left to right, yadda yadda yadda, we should all know the basics by now, right?

Story- 10/10
The evil Dr. Robotnik is back, and with a vengeance! Ha ha. Anyways, the story is basically how Dr. Robotnik has finished his newest creation, the enormous weapon known as the Death Egg (That's no moon!). Tails the two-tailed Fox decides to help out Sonic when he discovers how to spindash and run as fast as Sonic! With Tails' help, you'll destroy that bastard we all know as Robotnik (Or...Eggman as you kids know him as now...damn you Sega for acting like the name Robotnik never exsited) for good! Or not, as it seems, heh.

Sound/Music- 10/10
Perfect. No other word can describe it. This is THE greatest Sonic music I've heard, and I've played just about every Sonic game released. My favorite tunes being....well, everything. And I'll tell you this, that's VERY rare for me to say, but I love every song in this game and I could never pick one favorite. Sounds are allright. You don't notice much besides the jump, spindash, and landing on enemy effects. I've noticed some people seem to think these are annoying and repetitive. Meh, it's probably me, but I find no problems with repetive sound effects.

Gameplay- 10/10
Like I said before, this is my favorite Sonic game ever made. It took Sonic 1's perfect gameplay, made everything a lot faster, added new little extras like Super Sonic (An actual REWARD for getting all of the Chaos Emeralds, unlike Sonic 1), new enemies, some fun multiplayer racing games, and especially, a sidekick. Miles "Tails" Prower (Say Miles Prower really fast. I know, I didn't find the joke up until only a few years ago. Sad, ain't it?). Anyways, Tails is basically a fox who follows Sonic around. Why? Cause he feels like helping his idol out. No better explanation than that. You can also choose to play as Sonic by himself, or even Tails by himself (Which I did all the time as a kid, heh (Tails was always my favorite, go figure). The challenge was also upped a bit from Sonic 1. Most notably being the in/famous Metropolis Zone, where even now, I suffer from random deaths. Still, the challenge makes it even more fun than its predecessor.

Overall- 10/10
I'd like to personally thank Sega for making me the incredibly huge gamer I am today. Without Genesis or Sonic The Hedgehog, I don't know what I'd be doing. Sonic 2 seemed to get everything perfect, then they released Sonic 3, amazing, but no where near as fun as the first two, then Sonic & Knuckles, a spinoff from Sonic 3 containing the "lost levels", I like this better than 3, if I do say so myself. After S&K, Sonic started to disappear in the world of gaming. Soon after, an attempt to bring Sonic to 3D came out. A game by Traveller's Tales called Sonic 3D Blast (Otherwise known as Sonic 3D- Flickie's Island to the British and Japanese). The game....was ok, not great not bad. But nothing will ever come close to Sonic The Hedgehog 2, my favorite Sonic game ever.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/11/05