"Sonic, Sonic, Sonic, Sonic!"

Introduction
Ah, the 90s. Don't you all just miss the 90s when great video games and cartoons came out? This is the decade of my hero, Sonic the Hedgehog. (And Mario too) Remember the first Sonic game, Sonic the Hedgehog? That game marked Sega's history and the 16 bit war against Nintendo mascot, Mario. Don't get me wrong, I like both Sonic and Mario. In late 1992, Sega released the sequel to Sonic the Hedgehog which is this game I'm review Sonic the Hedgehog 2 or Sonic 2 as I like to call it. This is one of the best Sonic games and one of the best Genesis games of all time. This time Sonic has a little buddy joining him, Miles "Tails" Prower. New features, new bosses and more Sonic fun! I'm about to review one of my favorite (and the easiest) Sonic games of all time.

Story: We all know that Sonic the Hedgehog lives in Mobius right? So does a bunch of animal friends of Sonic's. Sonic's animal friends got kidnapped again by the evil Dr. Robotnik. It's up to Sonic and Tails to save the animals of Mobius and stop the evil Dr. Robotnik. I loved the story even though we heard it in the original game. Story gets a 9/10

Graphics: Absolutely excellent! Sonic and Tails are both very detailed (Hey, this is the Genesis, not the Atari) The enemies and Dr. Robotnik look great too. I love all of the diverse backgrounds as they fit the environment that Sonic (and/or Tails) is in. The loops and obstacles look exactly like obstacles and loops and all of the graphics are excellent. Graphics gets a 10/10

Sound/Music: The best Sonic soundtrack ever! All of the music fits the mood of each level and it never gets repetitive. Most of the music can make you get up and dance! Truly 90s sounds at the best. And a lot of the music reminds me of something (For example, the chemical plant music reminds of those old school Pop Tarts commercials and the Mystic cave music reminds me of the Disney Afternoon). Sorry for getting off subject but the music is the best. Fun, cheerful, scary and interesting. The sound effects are the usual Sonic sound effects, but hey, I like them. Sound/Music gets a 10/10

Control:The simple Genesis control. Flawless indeed. I never had problems with getting Sonic (or Tails) to move. They move fast, but that's what they're supported to do. (hence, Sonic's name) I never had a problem with the controls at all since Sonic and Tails never get unresponsive or nothing. Control gets a 10/10

Game Play: This is what the game is all about, the game play! Definitely improved from the first game. You play as Sonic (and a friend can play as Tails) and you go through like more than ten levels (most of them have two stages each, one have three stages and a few have only one) beating up Badniks and Dr. Robotnik's machines (and getting rings of course). Unlike the first game, you can now spin dash and move faster than ever. You will find yourself having a huge blast with the game play. I enjoyed the game play so much I'll have to give it a 10/10.

Challenge: This is one of the easiest Sonic games, but that's just my opinion. You can beat the game in one sitting. (Of course that would take practice.) But it does have some challenge in the later levels. It may not be as challenging as the first game but it's also not an extremely easy game I can beat in 5 minutes *cough*Barney's Hide and Seek*cough*. Challenge is easy-medium.

Play Time: I have been playing this game for like 2 years. I'm still playing this game and I haven't beat it yet. But I'm getting there.

Replay Value:This is one of those games you can come back to year after year just to beat it again or to remember those good old days.

Buy/Rent/Forget: Buy, buy, buy! This game is worth a buy! You'll thank me later for this. If you are a newbie to the Genesis, this is one of the games you should get. It should be very cheap these days. And it'll be worth every penny.

Pros
It's Sonic
The music
The graphics
The game play
almost everything else

Cons
No save feature (ARGH!!!!!)

The Wrap-Up (Give me numbers!)
Story:9/10
Graphics:10/10
Sound/Music:10/10
Control:10/10
Game Play:10/10

The Grand Total: 9.8 rounded to a perfect 10 for Game FAQs

Conclusion
Sonic 2 is one of the best Sonic games of all time. It is also one of the best games of 1992 (in my opinion). This game along with several other games is what made the 16 bit era one of my favorites in gaming. You should definitely get this game today. It's fun and it'll keep you busy for hours. I would like to thank Sega for releasing this masterpiece!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/06, Updated 07/22/08

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (US, 11/24/92)