Review by TBranford

"Good, but not what I expected from a sequel"

Introduction
I expected a lot from this game. The original Sonic was an all time classic in my opinion, that helped the Sega Genesis become a powerhouse system. Unfortunately, I did not quite have as much fun with the sequel as I did with the original. I don't know why, but I just did not have an enjoyable time playing through the sequel as I did the original. Now, this is still a great game that does the Sonic series justice, but I still did not have quite as fun of a time as I expected to.

Graphics (9/10)
The graphics are improved tenfold from the original Sonic. The backgrounds in the game are so much more colorful and vibrant, which means that the game has a much more bright and unique look to it. This is good, because one of the few problems I had with the original Sonic is the fact that the graphics appeared too dark and drabby, especially in the second world. But in this game, everything looks so much more brighter, especially the Casino Zone. The enemy designs in the game are great, and Sonic himself looks great. Overall, the graphics in the game are bright, colorful, and great!

Music and Sound Effects (9/10)
The music and sound effects in the game are also pretty good. The music in the game is fantastic, as I liked every music piece of the game. I especially liked the boss theme of the game, as it was very well done. The variety of music was great, and I felt that every tune in the game fit the feeling of the stage perfectly. Sound effects in the game are great, as there is a great variety of sound effects in the game. I especially like the sound that occurs when you lose all your rings. Overall, the music and sound effects in the game are great!

Gameplay and Control (7/10)
I really wanted to enjoy this game, I did. I was a huge fan of the original Sonic, and expected a lot from the sequel. The game is a lot like the original in a lot of senses, but I felt it was too much like an expansion pack then an actual sequel. The only real cool addition to the game is the multiplayer mode, which I had a lot of fun with (I also managed to kick Steve's butt in the game several times). There is two different kinds of multiplayer: one has you racing through stages, the other one has you in a 3D mode collecting rings. Overall, the gameplay is decent but I expected more.

Replay Value: Average
The only reason for really playing through the game more than once is the multiplayer mode, because it is a lot of fun. Otherwise, there isn't much drawing power, because the game is basically a rehased version of the original. The game isn't that long, either. Overall, the game only has decent replay value.

Challenge: Average
The game is really short in my opinon. I mean, it is a bit longer than the original, but I would have liked to see a few more stages added into the game. Also, the bosses in the game can act very stupid at times, especially once you figure out their patterns. Overall, this game has average challenge. I advise turning the challenge level up, if you can.

Overall (7/10)
More like an expansion pack than a true sequel, this game is a lot like the original with an added multiplayer mode. I just expected more, but this is still a good game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/05/00, Updated 07/05/00