Review by Psycho Penguin

"Its pretty much the same as Turtles in Time, but that's not such a bad thing"

First off, let me start off by saying that I am a huge fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Despite the fact that the first time I ever saw the Turtles (in their illfated first attempt at a full-length motion picture) I was less than blown away, they soon grew on me. The comic books were great, and the second and third movies were funny (I still love the opening sequence to the second movie, where the Turtles beat up the Foot Soldiers in a Toy Store.)

That being said, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles video games have followed the same path as the movies: a crappy first one, a great sequel, and an incredible third one. Then came Turtles in Time, which completely blew my mind away. However, I never had a chance to play Hyperstone Heist... until last week. After beating the game a few times, I realized that besides a few changes in the stage designs, Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist are basically the same game. Regardless, since I loved Turtles in Time so much, that means that I love the Hyperstone Heist as well. My only wonder is why Konami made a different story for basically the same game.

GRAPHICS (8/10): The Turtles look just like their ''real life'' counterparts, and the animation is fantastic. There is no slowdown whatsoever, which is fantastic. The background designs are colorful and well done, and the game uses the full power of the Genesis's processing system by using a wide variety of colors.

MUSIC/SOUND (8/10): Yeah, the music is great, just like its been in every Turtles game. The music has that classic Turtles sound to it, and the main theme is recreated perfectly. The sound effects are great too, and when you die, the sound ''ooh... shell shocked'' sounds better than Turtles in Time for the Super Nintendo.

CONTROL (10/10): The control is perfect, and there is a lot of special moves you can do, which are very easy to pull off.

GAMEPLAY (10/10): Go around the various stages, get some pizza, beat up some foot soldiers, beat a boss. Sounds boring?? WEll it isn't!!!! Never before had I had as much fun in a side scrolling game as Ive had in the Turtles games. You get a lot of special moves, including one where you jump up in the air, do a flip, and land on top of someones head, weapon in hand. It really is a lot of fun. The first stage is very long, but after that the stages are reasonably lengthed. Great gameplay, which has been a given for the series since that terrible first game.

REPLAY VALUE (6/10): No secrets equals little replay value. Beat it once, you know exactly what to do. The game is fun though, which is why I gave a score of 6 to this category.

FUN FACTOR (10/10): Fun, fun, fun. This game puts mos other side scrollers to shame. Cowabunga, dudes!!!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/26/00, Updated 07/16/01