Review by CLASSiC 2D

"Treasure deserves praise for this one."

This is, in my opinion, the 2nd best Mega Drive game ever. 2nd to none other than Treasure's 1st classic, Gunstar Heroes. I will tell you that this game easily ranks up there with Gunstar Heroes though, and that's saying a lot since Gunstar Heroes is my favorite game of all time.

Gameplay - 10/10
Nothing but classic Treasure innovation here. You take the roll of a bird-like ''Alien Soldier''. 1st of all, you choose your weaponry. You can choose between such weapons as laser, flame, chaser homing, as well as a few others. Each weapon has a force meter. This is basically how many shots you have left of the particular weapon. Whatever of your 3 weapons you are not using are regenerating force power. You also have a set amount of energy, or life. Killing enemies usually drops energy-ups, but that is not the only way to regain energy. If you press the shot button twice, a small ball of energy splashes in front of you. Most projectiles that come in contact with this energy ball are transformed into energy for you. This is very useful. Perhaps the most fun and interesting part of the game is your dash teleporting. With this teleporting, you're able to fly across the screen very fast invincibly, as many times as you want. And when you have full energy and perform it, you phoenix across the screen, killing all enemies and heavily damaging bosses. Finally, instead of having to pick between free or fixed shot like in Gunstar Heroes, you can do it on the fly by pressing Down + A. Handy indeed.

This is a hard game, even on supereasy difficulty. It begins off fairly easy. But as you progress, you will encounter the main idea of this game: fighting boss after boss with almost no break in between. By the later bosses, you will be teleporting every which way avoiding attacks, and returning some of your own. It's the kind of frantic fun that people play action shooters for. Whether it's running upside-down on the ceiling, or flying through space with your jet pack, the fun never stops.

In case you were wondering, there is a password system for continuing the stage you are on. Trust me, it helps =P

Graphics - 10/10
They are, simply put, beautiful. Probably the best looking game on the Mega Drive. Every thing is amazing for the Mega Drive's abilities. It's hard to describe really... just play it =D

Sound - 5/10
Bleh. Nothing special here. No catchy tunes. Just Treasure music (allow me to say ''bleh'' again).

Difficulty (1 being easiest, 10 being hardest) - 9/10
As i previously stated, this is a hard game by any standards. Especially superhard mode. However, it's not impossible so just keep trying. Perfect challenge if you ask me (i know you didn't but just bare with me ^_^)

Story - Who knows/10
I honestly just skip past the intro. An action shooter isn't made for it's story. Boo hoo. Who cares.

Replay - 9/10
I don't know if it's simply because I'm a huge Treasure fan, but i always come back to play this. Once you've achieved a stage password, it works forever, so you can go back and play any stage at any time. Perfect for going back and playing your favorite bosses.

Overall - 10/10
Go buy this game! 2nd best Mega Drive game, 2nd best Treasure game! You won't regret it by any means. You'll be one happy camper. =)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/24/04