Review by SnerdWilliams

"A perfect investment for any nostalgic gamer"

I kinda wish Sega had made a series of games in this format. It certainly would make things more convenient now. But let's not jump the gun here. "We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there," as Jerry Reed would say... er... sing.

6pak is basically what it sounds like. 6 games in one game pak. The games were Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Columns, Super Hang On, and Revenge of Shinobi. I plan on doing individual reviews for those games, so I'll just lightly review them here.

So you start your Genesis and you're taken to a little selection screen. If you play "Columns," you'll notice that the song on the start up menu is one of the songs from "Columns."

Let's use Columns as a segue (look it up). More than likely, you've played some version of the game. Stack at least 3 jewels of the same color, get points, repeat. Simple, simple game and I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with Tetris on this game any day of the week (don't get me wrong, Tetris is great, but I prefer this game). The game gets repetitive really quickly so my friends and I would just see who could play the longest. After a few hours (no, I don't have a life, hence writing a review for a game that's over 10 years old), I cut my Sega off. It reset the power to the house. I've done that two more times since. Maybe it's just random. That's the most likely possibility.

Super Hang On is a great motorcycle game. It has an arcade mode (chose a map and race it) and an original mode (same map for a while, ability to customize the bike, get new mechanics, etc.). It definitely has the appeal of the old school multiplayer. What is old school multiplayer? Passing the controller and saying "your turn, man," while you go to the kitchen and/or bathroom.

Sonic the Hedgehog. Seriously, if you own a Genesis and you never played a Sonic game, you fail at life.

Streets of Rage is a sidescrolling beat 'em up. It has a co-op mode, great boss fights, and terrific music. I love this game. It captures all that is right about sidescrollers and it has great replay value.

Revenge of Shinobi. Without coming off as James Rolfe (only because I can't swear on gamefaqs), let me say this game is absolutely horrible. This is the only reason to think twice about getting this game. Sometimes, the only way to kill enemies is to literally blow yourself up. Your character has to commit suicide in order to progress. Make sense? It doesn't to me, either.

And last, but certainly not least, Golden Axe. Golden Axe is just one of those games you have to play to truly understand it. It's a sidescrolling beat 'em up just like Streets of Rage. It even has a co-op mode. However, it's different from Streets of Rage because it has a battle mode in which you face off against different enemy types in a tournament style. It also uses magic with different levels of effectiveness instead of a police car just shooting a rocket.

In short: Good games... except Shinobi. If you get the chance to get a copy of 6pak, do it. I'm pretty sure you can find some of these games on the Wii's Virtual Console, so you can pick them up there. I don't think you'll be disappointed... unless you play Revenge of Shinobi, then maybe. Sega should have bundled more games together in this format. Maybe they could have included the sequels to these games. Sonic, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and even Revenge of Shinobi had at least 2 sequels; maybe they could have thrown in Out Run and Vectorman to round things out, but I think by the time 6pak was released, Sega Channel was already out so they probably didn't deem it necessary.

I give 6pak 9 out of 10 Poptarts.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/26/07