Review by Truck_1_0_1_

"For $150.00 Canadian, it was worth it."

Alex Kidd is a funny plat-former, and has the potential to be the most fun plat-former ever. From a flying monkey boy to cars that die by a single punch, this game is first bit to last bit fun. Some have called it a childish game, however answer me this: Can a child be smart enough to solve certain parts of this game? Read on to game play to find out!

Game play: 10/10

This game is so easy to play, and all of the controls are simple. A and C are to Jump/Kick, and B is to punch. Attacking the various enemies (from cars and fish to hopping Chinese squirrels and ant lions) will result in some money for you. There are also chests that will give you money or a little surprise. Then at certain points in the game, you have to face the Rock Paper Scissors masters of the land, in a game of, well you guessed it, Rock Paper Scissors. Great fun. There are also items that you can buy, and items that you can find. From great to game play to great story.

The story in this game is a bit hard to follow at first, however if you beat the game, you will realise that it is a very good story. Alex Kidd's father has disappeared on the planet of Paperock, and Alex is determined to get him back. Paperock is a strange world where Alex will come to learn how a large misunderstanding occurred... Graphics are next, and they are great.

The graphics in this game are fantastic, especially for the Genesis. As mentioned above, Paperock is a strange world, everything is detailed though and everything looks great. There is a slight problem though, while the graphics are great, but there is the probability that if you have epilepsy, you will almost always suffer a seizure. Other than that though, there are no problems. Sound is next.

The music is very catchy and you will be humming or, "doo doo," -ing the music after you complete this game. The sounds are also nothing special, but are humorous and cool nonetheless. A punch sounds like a punch, and a kick sounds like a kick. Can you replay it though?

Replay ability: 5/10

This is where the game goes stale. While it may take you a few times to beat this game, you will probably beat it at your fourth or fifth try. One area of replay ability is that you can face every Rock Paper Scissors person that you will meet up with during the game, in the options menu.

Buy or Rent?

You cannot rent this game, and it is a bit tricky to find. If you do indeed find it though, the price shouldn't be overly expensive. It is a good buy if you do buy it though.

In 1989 when I (and the Genesis) were born, my uncle's then-girlfriend bought this game for him for $150.00, and I must say every penny was worth it.
I first played this game when I was three years old, and I still play it to this day. Yes it may have taken me a while to beat, however like Final Fight, every time I played it, I got a bit better, and a bit farther etc. This is one of those games; you may not beat it the first or second time you play it, but it is fun enough that you will keep coming back for more. "Jan-Ken-Bo!"

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/24/06, Updated 09/11/09

Game Release: Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (US, 08/14/89)