Review by Computerbug8

"Oh, Sega, Sega, Seeeeggggaaa..."

I first got this game years ago when I was still in Elementary School, and I didn't like it the moment I started. An Elementary School student not liking a game? Can't be a good sign, keep reading to find out why.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to be rude or anything. This is what I honestly feel about the game.

STORY: From what I understand, Alex Kidd's father disappeared to some planet and now Alex has to rescue him. The weird part is that everyone on that planet is an expert at Scissors, Paper, Rock (how do you be an expert at a game like that?) To save his father, Alex must beat the greatest players of this simple game.

GAMEPLAY: 3/10
Not a very fun game to play at all. You play as little Alex as he bets on himself winning a game of Scissors, Paper, Rock. If you manage to beat your opponent, you win money. With money you can buy upgrades like things to help you beat the already easy enemies. You fight your way through all the enemies until you eventually reach the boss of the level. To beat the boss, all you need to do is simply beat them in a game of Paper Scissors Rock, just like when you were trying to get money.

You know, maybe it's just me, but my idea of playing a 16 bit version of Paper Scissors Rock is not my idea of a good time.

GRAPHICS: 7/10
This is the best part of the game, and it's okay. Unfortunately, it is also far from great. Alex Kidd doesn't look awful, and neither do the backgrounds. The enemies look okay, including the bosses. So, why does the game lose points in the graphics department? Because there aren't enough colors! The entire game you're looking the same boring colors that become an eyesore. If there were some more colorful images, then maybe the graphics section would have gotten a better score.

SOUND: 2/10
Sound? Oh, you mean the annoying tracks that play during the game and the weird sound effects? No, the sound isn't too great in this game. The background tracks sound boring and repeat very frequently, and the sound effects are indescribable. Every single time you enter a Paper Scissors Rock match, the music stays the same, even when you're fighting a boss. It's annoying and would make someone want to hit the mute button.

LENGTH: 4/10
The game is not very long, and once you get the hang of the game and all that, then it won't take very long at all for you to beat it. (just as long as you're lucky enough to beat the bosses)

REPLAYABILITY: 1/10
I can't think of any reason to play this game again. If you ask me, there's no point to it. No unlocks, no special features, no nothing.

Total Score: 17/50
Averaged Score: 3.4 out of 10 (rounds down to 3)

Buy or Rent?
You can barely find a Sega game to buy anymore, never mind actually renting it. Do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. It won't be worth that three dollars in your pocket.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 10/31/05