Review by Vertabreaker

"Hello, class, welcome to How To Butcher A Sequel To A Classic 101."

Anyone that has ever played Blaster Master knows how good it was. It still stands as one of the all time classic games of all time. A fun adventure game, it has stood the test of time to become one of the all time greats. However, what most people do not know is the fact that there have been a few sequels released for the game since, ones I plan to review over time. Blaster Master Boy, Blaster Master: Blasting Again, and Blaster Master 2.

To call Blaster Master 2 a bad game would be like calling Britney Spears' chest above average size. This is simply a horrible game that has absolutely none of the same quality that the original possesses. It's like Contra: Legacy of War, only ten times worse. Seriously, this is the end all, be all of video games.

Storyline - In the original game, Jason had to go underground to save his pet frog. You know what's most amazing about this? THE FACT THAT SOMEHOW THE STORYLINE FOR THIS IS WORSE THAN ''YOU HAVE TO SAVE A PET FROG''. It's truly apalling on so many different levels. This time, one of the remaining underlord mutants invades the surface, so you have to save the surface this time. Wow.

Graphics - I will admit that the graphics are definitely improved over the original game. Of course, since this is a 16 bit game, that is not too much of a thing to ask for to begin with. The backgrounds are colorful and well designed. The opening stage is a forest, with nice shading of trees, and as you go on you will encounter new settings and environments that will never disappoint. The characters are larger, and have more details to them. They are also quite varied this time around, as are the enemies.

Music and Sound Effects - If you forced me to be locked in a room and listen to either this music or Backstreet Boys, I'd choose the latter in a second. I don't know how the hell Sunsoft managed to butcher the music in this game, but they sure did. Anyone that played the original knows how classic that music was. This is not. They didn't even remix any of the original music, which is a true shame. The music just reeks of putridness. Sound effects are the stereotypical mundane crap you'd expect to hear in a second rate product like this.

Controls - Yet another horrible element. The only good thing about the control is the fact you can now press down while in mid air and shoot below. So you can kill enemies by pushing down while jumping. That's a cool feature, too bad the rest of the control sucks. It's downright impossible to control the tank at times, and going into the doors is an act of random stupidity. You have to press up AND shoot to enter a door. What kind of genius thought of that? To exit the tank, you have to press down AND special weapon. This is friggin insane. I hate the control, hate it hate it hate it hate it.

Gameplay - AAARGH. How horrible is this game? I am going to name every bad element to this game. Unresponsive controls. Lack of fun factor. Bad enemy AI. No adventure elements to speak of. Loss of abilities. Stupid ass innovations. There's more, but I'll stop here. The lack of fun factor is a killer. You know how in the original, you can go back to previous stages once you got new abilities, to get new items? Like after stage 3, when you had to go back to the beginning of the game and climb up the tree using the new hover feature you got, to get the item that enabled you to get to stage 4? Not so here. You just go from stage to stage, killing enemies and eventually a boss, which drops a key to get to the next stage. It is so uncreative, it's scary. The enemies in the game range from idiotic to plain retarded. I've seen some enemies just stand there and take hits. There are three modes in the game: usual side scrolling mess with the tank, overhead view with the tank (different from the original), and the new ''from behind'' mode, used with Jason when he fights bosses. So, really, you'll be in the tank for most of the game. Horrible, I hate this game so much.

Replay Value - HHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Challenge - I beat it, but the only challenge was trying not to cry, which I failed at miserably.

Overall - Blah, this is such a horrible filfthy disgusting sequel to an all time classic. Don't even think of going near it. I hate you, Sunsoft.

Reviewer's Score: 1/10 | Originally Posted: 12/12/01, Updated 12/12/01