Review by Aspie Giraffe

"Above average for a Genesis platformer, but a terrible sequel."

Game: Blaster Master 2
Console: Sega Genesis

I'm sure you've heard it before. Many have chosen the original Blaster Master as one of the NES greats, period. Whoever came up with the idea to create a sequel had already dug his own grave, because Blaster Master 2 doesn't even come close to the mightiness of the original.

My copy didn't come with an instruction manual, and I'm sure the story has already been covered by other reviewers. Fact is, with most sequels, the general plot is that you didn't quite get the job done the first time, and you gotta do it again, only you get a few more fancy weapons and features to help on your way.

Graphically speaking, BM2 is on-par with the early Genesis platformers. The colors are attractive for the most part, but the character sprites leave something to be desired. Bosses are generally basic designs, and some are merely variations of each other. The lack of creativity was very disappointing.

The controls and gameplay will give people an opportunity to break their controllers. Gone is the Jason overview mode, in comes a tank overview mode, which has terrible movement and turrent capabilities. Sofia and Jason no longer have individual health bars, and the hover option is just plain too sensitive, to name a few flaws. Don't get me started on the turrent in platform mode. The levels are generic, and only get easier and more basic as you build your supply of special weapons. After Level 3, BM2 is a breeze if you know what you're doing.

Sound effects are poor, and at times, they were worse than the original, and that's not saying much. The music is dull and repetitive, but the track to Stage 1 is a personal favorite. It sets the mood that it could be a great game, only to disappoint as each stage song progresses.

To the Blaster Master fan, avoid and stick to the original. To those looking for an above-average platformer (and there aren't many for the Genesis,) I'd say try it out first, then get it exchanged for a different game at the used store.

Review Score: 6 / 10