Review by Ofisil

"An unknown gem that is actually very good"

Bubble And Squeak is an Action\Adventure game, (Action\Puzzle if you prefer), developed by Audiogenic Ltd. And released by SunSoft. At first glance I thought that this was just another cute childish platform game, unoriginal and very boring. After a minute or so I was happy to find out that I was wrong!

Story: N/A

The manual of the game refers to a world full of cute creatures that are captured from a bad guy. You, Squeak, a small child and the only survivor of this world, your blue friend Bubble are about to save the world. Since no plot details are given in the game, it is obvious that the story is there only to fill a bit of manual space, so I won't even give it a score since this game is a pure, puzzle platform game.

Lovely cartoonish graphics, brightly colored and full of cuteness, so if you don't like this kind of stuff, go away now! The 2 main characters have the right size and detail amount and move quite good. Enemies are very simple and without any great variety but that's not a problem since you don't see them too often. There are 5 kinds of worlds that all look and look different from each other. Finally some simple but good textures, sprites and effects are what the game has to offer.

Forgettable music for each world, that while being extremely repetitive it isn't irritating at all. Simple sound effects too. In general nothing special in the sound section.

Gameplay: 8.5/10

In Bubble and Squeak you control Squeak who is a small child. The game's objective is to reach each stage's end along with your blue pal Bubble. You can give 2 commands to Bubble, follow or wait. Bubble automatically jumps if you are in a higher platform but can jump so high as you so in many occasions you'll have to find an alternative way of bringing him next to you. You can put pots in order to help him climb easier, lower platforms by using switches, put springs below him and many more. There are many clever puzzles for you to solve and each time you do you'll feel very satisfied. For example there is a part where in order to help Bubble reach a certain platform you need to throw a spring on a spring and then make Bubble climb in the higher spring. You can also use three coins in a candy machine in order to feed Bubble with a marshmallow. By doing so you will be able to ride Bubble like a horse and run faster, jump higher and have a stronger attack from Squeak's own Star Throw skill. Sometimes Bubble instead of running can actually fly with you on his back. Apart from the increasing puzzle challenge with every level you complete there is water below you that after some minutes starts rising up, so there is a danger of you or your friend drowning, so apart from keeping yourself out of water you must be very careful not to leave bubble behind and helpless.

There are 30 very challenging levels that are organized quite differently from most games. After the “Machine Level” you go to the “Desert Level”, then to another “Machine Level” again and then to the “City Level” and so on. There are some Bonus levels where you control a submarine and shoot stuff with missiles. In my opinion, this is the worst part of the game apart from gaining lives or continues, (I don't really remember to say the truth), it is very boring and doesn't have any relation to the kind of fun that this game offers. The only weakness of the game is its replay value. After finishing you can do it again in Hard Mode, complete it faster, with more items obtained and stuff like that, other that nothing more.

Positives:
-Very Challenging
-Very clever puzzles that require fast and smart thinking

Negatives:
-Small replay value

Bubble And Squeak is actually one of the most unknown games in existence, (I'm actually its first GameFaqs reviewer). Just take a look over the Internet and you'll find that out yourself. The funny thing is that this game is actually much better from some other games out there that are more popular and have sold much more copies. I for once enjoyed it very much and wished there was a sequel available… sigh…

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/20/07

Game Release: Bubble and Squeak (US, 12/31/94)