Review by ego trip

"Being the best and improving the best."

Sonic and Knuckles for the Genesis is arguably one of the most innovative games of it's time. With stunning graphics, sound, gameplay, and the ability to ''lock on'' to the games Sonic 2 and 3 for added effects, Sonic and Knuckles is one of the best games on it's platform.

Graphics:(9/10) This game offered amazing graphical images including the character's and level design. The reason I took off a point was because there is sometimes an occasional glitch when playing either Sonic 2 or 3 as Knuckles. This glitch could be anything from the screen blinking to the very rare freezing of the game.

Sound:(9/10) Sound is not a problem for this game. The sound effects are an unbelievably high quality. The only problem is that the jump sound can become annoying after extended play and frustration.

Music:(10/10) The music in this game is incredible. It is some of the best MIDI music that I have ever heard. Offering a wide variety of music and some added tunes for Sonic 2 and 3 Sonic and Knuckles won't disappoint you in the music category at all.

Gameplay:(10/10) Fun. That's the only word I can think of to describe the gameplay. Though the only control is movement, jumping, and a speed dash, that seems to be all you really need. ''Locking on'' to Sonic 2 will only allow you to play the game as Knuckles, but you can still use all of his special moves including gliding and hanging onto walls. But when ''locked on'' to Sonic 3 you are offered more save slots! And you don't only have to use Knuckles. You can play as Sonic, Tails, Sonic and Tails, or Knuckles.

Story:(6/10) I had to take off points here. It's the same story in every game in the series. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, or any combination of the three have to save the world from Dr. Robotnik, who has stolen the chaos emeralds in an attempt to take over the world with his many robotic comrades. But if this is the story this game was built around, then that's ok with me.

Rent/Buy: Buy it. Especially if you own Sonic 2 or 3. If you don't own either of them then buy them to make the Sonic and Knuckles experience even better. Don't even bother renting it because you'll become disappointed when you have to return it. Besides, you don't want to accidentally give back the game along with any of your other Sonic games.

Overall:(10/10) This game is a must have for any Genesis owner. It not only is a great game, but can make two great games even greater. It will be sure to keep you occupied for a long time. I recommend that this game is added to your collection.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/16/02, Updated 07/16/02