Review by Archangel267

"Truly, a Sonic game not to be missed. The perfect excuse to stick with the Sega Genesis!"

Okay, so why am I writing a review for a game that is about 9 years old? If you STILL haven't played this yet, (gosh you're slower than I am, if that is at all possible) you'll be missing out. I managed to pick this game up, because the Sonic Team was gracious enough to create the PC version. I bought it because I was a great fan of Sonic 1 and 2, and I decided to give this cool-looking PC collection a spin. I'm pretty much writing a review for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, because I assume many have both games Also, I thought it would be cool to play a game I vaguely recall, since the fun lasts longer if there are new things to discover. Okay, onto the review!

I'm starting from Sonic 3. Robotnik(AKA the Eggman) is terrorizing Floating Island. Sonic knows of this, and goes after him(obviously). At the same time Knuckles is blown away by a bomb thrown by a mysterious robot, and Knuckles mistakes Sonic for the attack. So now during Sonic's adventure, Knuckles lies in wait for Sonic to pass by, waiting to attack....

Nothing to new but it's still a pretty good story.

Pardon me for bending the rules a bit, but this game deserves a solid 110%. The reason? Because if you have Sonic and Knuckles locked on to Sonic 3(You attach both games to create the ultimate Sonic side scroller) you have plenty to do. If you play as Sonic, the gameplay is fast-paced, dangerous, and not to mention exciting. Sonic's moves haven't changed that much since Sonic 2. The basic spin jump, saw blade spin, etc. If you play as Knuckles however, you will notice he can fly while outstretching his arms with his dangerous knuckles in front of him, and he can climb walls, which lead to all sorts of gameplay possibilities. He can easily break through walls with his knuckles. You'll notice the game is a bit altered and somewhat more challenging if you play as Knuckles. The in game story is changed too. Also, if you have Sonic 3 attached to Sonic & Knuckles, you can play as Sonic's sidekick, Tails the fox. Cool. Many levels lie ahead, ranging from mushroom covered hills to structures above the clouds, and even a zone where you are dodging asteroids and missiles while simulataneously The enemies are very annoying, but it's their job to keep the levels hard. Ol' Eggman is up to his dirty tricks again, and this time his schemes are much more sophisticated than ever before. Traps are cleverly laid, such as hidden turrets or landmines innocently looking like part of an aircraft. Same old items from Sonic 3, but have a much better purpose this time around. For example, if you have the fire-shield item, you are immune to fireballs and lava, and a spark-shield attracts rings to you. Useful. Of course there are bad items, the one with the picture of Robotnik makes you lose either your life or your rings, depending on the rings of course. And of course lets not forget the rings. Collect 100 and you get an extra life. This game is very challenging, so try to get those precious lives. In hidden parts of the levels of this game, there may be a huge ring, and if you jump into it, you can play a special bonus game where you have to collect blue spheres and rings and avoid everything else. Of course if I were to go into full detail about the gameplay it would be too much to type so to make a long story short, the gameplay will have you up for a LONG time.

Music/Sound: 10/10
Nicely done. VERY nicely done. Sonic 2's music was awesome, but it pales in comparison with some of Sonic and Knuckles' music. This game have really good tunes that are most of the time, catchy, and each tune fits the mood of the zone. Like Mushroom Hill Zone, where there's a sort of peaceful, kinda calm music, whereas in Flying Battery Zone the music gives you a sort of rushed feeling. Be careful though, the music may be awesome, but you can get carried away with it and may lose in the game because of it. The sounds are pretty cool, from explosions to the sound of flames, the sound effects are also done nicely.

Even though it is Genesis, this game has very good graphics for its time. Not Donkey Kong Country, perhaps, but still great. Backgrounds, enemies, all the designs were well done.

So..............
I highly recommend getting the PC Sonic and Knuckles Collection, 3 games for only $9.99. Too much good stuff to pass up on. Rock on Sonic!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/24/02, Updated 11/24/02