Review by Rooster349

"Sonic 3, You Complete Me!"

The second chapter of Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles does an excellent job of wrapping up the inconclusive Sonic 3, and deepens the storyline.

Sonic and Knuckles, while a decent game in itself, is best served with others. It's nothing revolutionary, and uses the same engine as Sonic 3. These games were made to be together. As a matter of fact, at one time, they were together. In Japan, Sonic 3 was all one cartridge. Many people believed that it was a scam for SEGA to make more money, others believed that the game was so massive, the new save file would not work correctly on just one cart. Whatever the reason, many were annoyed by the ''expansion pack'', and felt like they were being ripped off.

Well, I was 13 when I first played this game, and my parents bought it for Christmas. So I didn't care.

Sonic and Knuckles 8/10

This game does not do bad on it's own. It keeps the same graphics of Sonic 3 (which are good) and adds more atmosphere to the levels. The game starts a difficulty level above the hardest level of Sonic 3, and gets harder. The level design is less linear and more complex. There are a lot of different paths to take and secrets to find. Sonic and Knuckles each have different paths to different levels, increasing the game's replay.

The down side is that it's a bit too short. This game was meant to lock on with other games, namely, Sonic 3. And we'll get to that. Now.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles 10/10

When the two games become one, an epic is formed. 12 Zones, all very atmospheric come together. The stories, even though kind of odd, is melded together and complements the other. And there are new places in Sonic 3 for Knuckles.

Remember those walls you just could not break down in Sonic 3? Now, just run up to Knuckles and throw a punch. And the wall is gone. Now, you are free to explore the alternate level. There's a new path to unlock for Knuckles in almost every level, and it adds replay to the game.

You can also go Super-saiyan 2 by collecting all the emeralds. If you're successful with the first batch in Sonic 3, the large rings in Sonic and Knuckles become flashing, and transport you to the hidden palace zone, where you in turn choose your poison. You get to choose which course you want to take. After collecting every Super Emerald, you get to take Super Sonic/Knuckles to the next level. Sonic does a unique double jump attack, and Knuckles makes the walls shake. When you beat the game with all the emeralds, not only do the endings change, but you may go back and play the game from the beginning with your special powers.

These games were meant to be together. As a matter of fact, they were. And when they came to the US, they weren't. If you have Sonic 3, this is every bit worth it. It takes two pretty short games, combines them, and turns them into an epic story.

Knuckles 2: 4/10

Kind of hard to rate. I guess it depends on whether you like playing as Knuckles. I hate how he jumps. Stupid Echidna...

Unlike Sonic 3, Sonic 2's level design was not meant to provide new paths with Knuckles. So you have his moves, and that's about it. I guess it's pretty neat, but it doesn't make any sense to the level design.

Sonic 2 is a great game, don't get me wrong. I just don't see the point. Then again, I hate that stupid echidna. I would compare it to a car that fits 100 people. You'll probably never use all that extra space, but it's good to know it's there.

Sonic 1 and Knuckles: 6/10

Aside from the cast shaking their fingers at you...

You get some of those fun little mini games, where you collect blue spheres. It's nothing spectacular, but it's fun while it lasts. I would compare it to a car that fits 100 people. You'll probably...

Basically, this game is worth a purchase if you own Sonic 3. They form a cohesive bond, and become an all-star game that will go down in history as one of the best 2D platformers of all time.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 03/26/03, Updated 03/26/03