Review by Rick

"The Lock-On Technology thing, what a cool idea!"

Lock-On Technology. This was the coolest thing I ever had or ever will see in video games, and I bet you my Precious Roy Squirrel Zapper that they are never going to use it again. But what they did with this game was fantastic. But let's move on, ne?

This is probably the best looking 2-D game the Genesis ever made. It has some very cool animations, not to mention being the smoothest Genesis game I have ever seen. and get this, unlike the rest of th Sonic games for Genesis, there is not a trace of slowdown in this, the final, 2-D Sonic game. Enemies have a much more detailed look and style of movement than in the previous Sonic games. They have specified Figure-8 movements, zig-zag bounces, some even have a homing system, which is more than I can say for the back and forth styles of most Sonic game enemies. Sonic and Knuckles even have a much better detailed look than in the previous games. These are some of the most enjoyable Sonic the Hedgehog graphics I have seen. Their enjoyable style wouldn't be replicated again until Sonic Adventure.

The sound effects are all recycled from previous Sonic games. I liked the previous games' sound effects, but I really wanted some new stuff for Sonic's latest. The musivc is quite refreshing, as with all Sonic Team games. And so starts a trend as it becomes obvious that if it's developed by Sonic Team, the music is a nice ride.

Very average. The game's Lock-On Technology makes Sonic 2 awesome and makes Sonic 3 the coolest Sonic game in existence. However, because of the overall junkiness of most of the levels in Sonic & Knuckles itself, (especially Sandopolis) it gets a so-so rating. The control is unchanged from previous Sonic games, so you won't notice anything different. The game has one of coolest bosses ever, however. It is also probably the most challenging of the Sonic games.

Overall Fun Factor: 8/10

This, as a game by itself, is okay. Because of it's challenge though, it's a definate reccomendation for Sonic Veterans only! If you have Sonic 2 or 3, this is a must have. If you're a first-time Sonic player, however, I reccomend Sonic 2 or 3. Then you can enjoy the wonders of the unappreciated Lock-On Technology! Seeya! --Rick >:P

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/24/00, Updated 04/24/00