Review by TAMKFan

"The best game on the Sega Genesis!"

Sonic 2 was one of my first ever games to play and I enjoyed it. Then Sonic 3 came out and I enjoyed that game too. Then finally Sonic and Knuckles came and it improved over the previous Sonics. Read my review and see why I think of this game that way.

Gameplay: This takes what Sonic 3 had and expands the greatness of the gameplay. You can choose from Sonic and Knuckles as the title suggests. You can use Tails too (I'll get back to that later.) The save feature seems to be gone this time around but don't worry if you lock this game on with Sonic 3 you get the save feature back (I'll talk about Sonic 3 and Knuckles later.) This game also has some of the best levels any Sonic game has ever had. Rating: 10/10

Graphics: This is an old game (About 12 years old to be exact). But for an old game the graphics are pretty good. They even look just as good or better than some Playstation 1 games do! The only problem is that I think the backgrounds could have used a little more work. The characters look good though. Rating: 8/10

Sound: The sound stands out and it's very detailed. You can really tell whether you picked up a ring or smash a TV box with your eyes closed. The soundtrack is great too. Rating: 10/10

Value: It's fun to play this game a lot. As I mentioned earlier Tails is unlockable in this game if you connect Sonic on top of the cartridge. Not only that but you will also be able to use Knuckles in Sonic 3 AND you can play through Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles combined with any of the 3 characters. If you place the Sonic 2 cart on top of this then you will be able to use Knuckles in Sonic 2. If you place the Sonic 1 cart on top of this you will get to play a game called "Blue Sphere" which is like the special stages in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. You know the ones where you collect blue spheres and avoid the red ones. Well on Blue Sphere their's hundreds of those. Oh and if you manage to collect all the emeralds as Sonic in Sonic and Knuckles then you will get a secret finally zone called "Doomsday Zone" where you fight Robotnik while you're in you hyper or super form. Rating: 9/10

Lock-On Technology: Yes my paragraph in the "Value" section was getting a bit too big so I'll continue here. Remember I mentioned earlier that you get a game called Blue Sphere if you lock this on with Sonic 1. Well apparently you get that if you lock on any Sega game (Except Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 of course) for the Genesis. One thing that prevents this section from getting a 10 is that in Sonic 1 they should have made it where you can use Tails or Knuckles with this feature. Now with this lock on feature and what people have been saying I have a question: Was Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles really originally meant to be one game? Rating: 9/10

Pros:
It's one of the best Sonic games ever.
Lock-on technology
Knuckles is playable for the first time ever.
Good music
Fun to play no matter how many times you played it.
Good graphics for an old game.
Most of the zones
Has the the same fast-paced gameplay that Sonic has always had.
Not too easy or not too hard
Good boss fights

Cons:
No save feature (Unless locked on with Sonic 3)
No Tails (Again unless locked on with Sonic 3)
Sandopolis Zone is a bit annoying

Overall: I'd say that this is up there with Sonic Heroes and Sonic Rush as the best Sonic games ever. If you've played atleast one Sonic game before and like it then please check out this game for the Genesis. If you can't find it you can always get the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube or the updated plus version for PS2 or XBox which includes all the Genesis Sonics and some of his Game Gear games. Have you never played a Sonic game before? Well then why not have this game as your first Sonic game?

Overall Rating: 9.4/10