Review by Sephirstein

"Why do so many people hate this awesome game?"

This has to be one of the most underrated games of all time. The only person who seems to give it the respect it serves is the other guy who reviewed it here at Gamefaqs. Maybe people are used to good old 2D Sonic games (which I love, don't get me wrong) but there's nothing here to warrant this gaming being blasted (pun intended) by the gaming media. This game is also known as Sonic Flicky Island in Europe.

Graphics: (10) Some of the best graphics ever seen on The Genesis. Sonic is well rednered along with the enemies, Dr. Robotnik, Knuckles and Tails. The levels look very good with a lot of nice details and it's in 3D with no slowdown.

Sound/Music: (10) All the catchy music and sound effects we all love form the previous Sonic games (except Spinball which had crap music but good sound) are back with avengeance. The tunes stick to your head and the sound effects are that cool Sonic stuff we all know and love.

Gameplay: (9) Many people hate the gameplay but personally, I enjoy it and find it a nice change. The game is fun and the Flicky's add depth to the game. One minor gripe is that it's hard to find the flicky's once you lose them from getting hit. The game is still fast but not quite as fast as the other ones but I still enjoy it. The special stages are also back and they play like an enhanceed and thankfully much more challenging version of the Sonic 2 special stages. I also loved the innovative bosses. Like Sonic CD, I found the bosses were actually challenging and had a lot of thought put in to them. The last battle is just cool as the one in Sonic and Knuckles.

Challenge: (9) Wow, this is the first Sonic game that I actually had trouble beating. 3D allowed the game to be more challenging because the stages had tougher obstacles and Sega was able to do a lot more with the bosses. The special stages are challenging but you get 24 opportunities if you find Knuckles and Tails in every stage so you should be able to get them all. I wish it had a save feature though because this is one tough Sonic game.

Story: (6) It's your generic Sonic story about Dr. Robotnink using the power of the Flicky's and the Chaos Emeralds in an attempt to conquer the world. Of course, Sonic has to stop him. It's been done to death but since we don't play Sonic games for story (I hope), I won't really put any weight on this category.

Replay: (8) Unfortunately, this is where it loses out to other Sonic games. The game is fun to replay but it still doesn't have the replay value of the other games in the series. Too bad.

Rent or Buy: I don't think it costs more than a few dollars so I think your just as well to buy it now cause renting is practically a waste of money.

Overall: (9) Great job by Sega and Traveller's Tales to add innovation to a poular videogame mascot.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 02/22/01