Review by Truck_1_0_1_

"A Mediocre Effort From Sonic Team and Traveller's Tales"

2004, one of the best birthdays of my life (I have mentioned it before). My idol Eric Hinske went 3 for 4 with a home run, double, and 5 rbi as the Jays won 15-4. Before we went to the game, my buddies stopped by, and we had a mini party at my house. They asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said games. So games is what they got me! Lo and behold, one of them was Sonic 3D blast, a game that was praised, and hated, both for different reasons. My buddies all thought it was an excellent game, and they did not read reviews and things that I did. But I sat down, played it, and had a great time. Within five minutes, I had the tune to the first level implanted into my brain, and it has not gotten out since! Sadly though, the game does not play as well as it looks and sounds, game play will tell you more.

Game play: 7/10

Being in isometric view, the game does play a little poorly. Yes, the sense of speed that was present in the other games is significantly toned down, it still is not, "slow moving," though. The purpose of Sonic 3D Blast is to rescue little flying birds known as Flickies, and send them through a giant gold ring to freedom (in a very similar fashion to the original game, Flicky). This is a fine way to play the game; attack the enemy, pick up Flicky, send him through, however, this is also extremely tedious, long, and drawn out. Especially if you have rescued all of the Flickies, and then die, you start over, from the beginning of the level, and you must go back and kill each enemy, rescuing every Flicky again. Discovering Tails or Knuckles (with at least 50 rings), will send you to the special stage, and while it is one of the better special stages in the Sonic world, its also far and away the easiest, as it consists of you hurdling bombs, collecting enough rings at every checkpoint in the same fashion as Sonic 2. The same power-ups and bonuses are all present as well, thus aside from the big differences, this is still a Sonic game at heart. Just like the story.

Robotnik has stumbled upon an island that houses a unique bird known as a Flicky. These Flickies, when put together with a giant ring, can travel through time and dimensions. Robotnik sees this as a perfect opportunity to take over whatever he sees fit. When Sonic stumbles upon this same island, he sees that all of the Flickies have been turned into robots and machines, and he knows that it is the doing of Robotnik. Sonic must, yet again, come and rescue his friends, before Robotnik can do more harm. The graphics are better than the story.

Sonic 3D Blast is one of the best looking Genesis games; vibrant, rich colors, and detailed, lush scenery are abundant in this game. This is far and away the highlight of the graphics, though Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails all look fantastic themselves, especially Knuckles. The Flickies look great, as well as the enemies. Robotnik looks great, especially in his first level vehicle. The special stage actually looks mediocre at best, and is, in reality, pseudo-3D. Are the sounds as good?

Sounds: 8/10

The sound effects in Sonic 3D Blast are above average, nothing more nothing less. The majority of sounds from previous games are found in this game, though the new ones are uninspired. The sound of the Flickies is actually the same sound from the Flicky game. The music on the other hand, is just as good as it was in the previous games, and the first zone sounds absolutely fantastic, again, it became nestled in my brain after playing the game for five minutes. Is this a replay-able game?

Replay ability: 5/10

The game takes a big nosedive in the replay department, as aside from playing the game and getting the emeralds, there just is not much to do. The game is also very tedious and unnecessarily long, and that can take you out of the game sometimes. Otherwise, Sonic 3D Blast is average replay-wise.

Buy or rent?

This would be a game to rent first, just to see if you like it. Otherwise, go ahead and purchase it, it is a Sonic game after all...

While not his best outing, Sonic 3D Blast is not a bad game at all, it is just merely average. It is a shame too, because one can tell that a lot of effort was put into this game, especially in the creative department. Sadly though, it was all for nought, as the game fell short of expectations. I could tell you one thing though, the Flickies were happy that they were getting more exposure!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 08/03/09

Game Release: Sonic 3D Blast (US, 12/31/96)