Review by hazuki_dojo_98

"The Controls Suck"

Where should I begin? Sonic 3D Blast (also called Sonic 3D Flickies' Island) is the first game I've come across in a while that has monumental flaw. This game came out at a particularly eventful time in the medium's history. Video games were beginning to be billed as mostly 3D at this point I think. So why not make a 3D Sonic game? That seems to make sense. In the early '80s there was a SEGA game called Flicky that I believe this game was based on. The basic problem to this game is not its concept but rather its execution. The concept seems to be to make a 3D Sonic game based on a previous game that seems linked. I guess some people found this to be a mistake already. I don't I don't know a ton about Flicky but what it appears to be about is this collect the scattered birds thing. I think that this is a bit of risky move for the Sonic series due to the lack of tremendous speed seen in games like Sonic 2. But even knowing that there is still some hope for this game.

Gameplay. Probably the most important aspect. Now that we know what the concept is let's look at this. Sonic finds himself once again thrust in to a somewhat mysterious Fantasy Zone-type world. One by one he collects flickies (little birds) who inhabit robots made by the Eggman. He then puts them through large rings to unlock the next fun-filled area. He then faces off with Robotnik. Not a terrible course but is indeed quite dry at times. Another criticism would have to be the graphics. I remember being somewhat wowed by this game back when I rented it but upon closer inspection is a risky attempt gone sour. In previous Sonic games there's the occasional isometric view but this game is chock full of them and to a fault I believe because it somewhat skews the sense of relative distance. I've heard of a better version of this game being on SEGA Saturn but I haven't really seen this problem fixed. Since the camera is fixed the way most 2D games are there's this forced perspective of things seeming 3D when they are in fact still 2D due to the fact that the environments aren't rendered the same way some of the items are and such.

Now for a brief shining moment. I love 90 percent of the music for this game. I don't know what it is. I think I read somewhere that Richard Jacques did some of the music like he would do later in Jet Set Radio. Some of the songs are rehashed in game(s) like Sonic Adventure where they are given a much better sound card. Also the sound effects are expanded upon and reused to a certain degree from Sonic 3. Another sore point and probably the worst for this game is its playability or lack thereof. Knowing what to expect gameplaywise is already a bit of a groaner but when you find that there is virtually no sensitivity to the controls whatsoever then there's going to be a pretty low score due to the fact that subsequent parts of the game are just never reached typically. In fairness I don't really know how this could really be fixed on the Genesis. The Saturn version of this game is probably spruced up a bit due to this very problem. I used my Xbox thumbstick for this game and had very little luck with it.

Finally is this game entertaining? Not really. Using a really old concept for a game with more modern graphic schemes all being played out on a console that's somewhere between the other 2 is a disaster waiting to happen. It's unfortunate that in their haste they did not see this coming (the developers). I remember people saying similar things about Sonic Adventure--that it was rushed and had shoddy camera angles and the like. As you can probably guess there is really no replay value. I can only see a person replaying this game out of madness. Maybe that's a bit harsh but I think this should've either've been remade (which it may have on Saturn) or just plain scrapped.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 05/05/10

Game Release: Sonic 3D Blast (US, 12/31/96)