Review by SonicGamer74

"Sonic Is Not In 3D In This Game. He's Isometric."

A Review for Sonic 3D Blast for Genesis. I might do the SEGA Saturn version later, but here's the Genesis version for now.

Introduction:
All I know is that this game was produced by SEGA & Traveler's Tales. It was a way to show Sonic off in 3D since Nintendo did this with Mario & Universal Studio's was doing Crash Bandicoot. That's kinda it.

Story (4/10, Bad)
It's the same story as almost all of the other Sonic games. Sonic has to save the Flicky's (Ya know, the birds in this game?) from Dr. Robotnik and take them to a big shiny ring. Would have expected something better, right?

Gameplay (7/10, Great)
Although the game isn't good in the Story department, SEGA actually made this game kinda fun. The game is played in a view above Sonic's head and you move around the stage. Sonic's control's are kinda wonky at first, but you'll get used to them. You also have to pay Tails & Knuckles rings to get Chaos Emeralds. Special Stage's are pretty easy. In fact, it's the easiest part of the game! You just run through some sort of bridge, dodging spiked balls on the floor & collecting rings to get that Chaos Emerald.

Graphics (5/10, OK)
Yeah, graphic's don't look too good on this one. Especially on the opening sequence of this game, as SEGA & TT made the quality of the intro very low just so it would fit in the SEGA Genesis cartridge. The graphics in-game are OK, but not perfect. The Special Stages look terrible in my opinion. The actual game looks better in my opinion over the Special Stages.

Sound (4/10, Bad)
You guessed it. The sound isn't all that good. In fact, the music isn't all that catchy. I mean the very first level is cause that's in Sonic Adventure for SEGA Dreamcast & Nintendo Gamecube, but everything else isn't very good. Fortunately, they 'kept the old Sonic sound effects, so maybe that's good, right?

Play Time (8/10, Awesome)
You gotta admit. Although the game has not so good graphics and bad sound, the Play Time is exceptionally good. The reason why? Cause every Act in this game is long (Especially Act 2 of the second Zone). It makes it all worthwhile if you like this game.

Replayability (3/10, Really Bad)
Although Play Time was good, Replayability isn't too good. It's because there aren't any other routes to take in the game. All there is to do is get all the Chaos Emeralds (Which can easily be collected in 3 Zones tops) to get the good ending. That's it.

Final Recommendation:
I'd say buy if you have A SEGA Genesis, or rent if you have a Nintendo Gamecube, Playstation 2 or XBox. Heck, might as well buy Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Mega Collection Plus anyways, cause it's kinda like renting anyway if you have that.

Final Score:7/10, Great.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/22/11

Game Release: Sonic 3D Blast (US, 12/31/96)