Review by Freeze Sabre

"A great game, with a few drawbacks"

Okay, we have Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Sonic 4 (AKA Sonic & Knuckles),
Is this worthy enough to be considered the true fifth installment of Sonic for the Genesis? Well, um, YES!
Despite other opinions, I like this game, even with it's drawbacks. So on with the review:

This game immediately wows you with it's N64-esque intro, but rest assured, it doesn't stay that way.
You race through 7 or 8 zones saving the Flicky, a magical species of bird that Dr. Robotnik (Eggman for all of you fanboys.)
has imprisioned inside robots to help him search for the 7 mystical Chaos Emeralds.
So you break through each level saving flickies and returning them to their dimension,
gathering Emeralds in the process.
The Flickies are a pain sometimes, but otherwise good.
This game's one BIG drawback is NO SUPER OR HYPER SONIC.
All you get for collecting the Emeralds is access to Final Fight Zone and a better ending. Which isn't THAT bad, I guess.
Now, on to the:

Graphics 9/10
Eh, can't complain here, 3/4 overhead isometric view, and some fancy full-3D extras, pretty nice,
especially for a 16-bit platform. The only problem is that the isometric view can cause you to
miss your mark sometimes, but it gets better after a while.

Sound Effects: 5/10
For such a special game, you think there would be special SFX, But nay.
They ripped all of the SFX of Sonic & Knuckles.
Although they DID magnify them a bit, it still is just boring.

Music: 10/10
I love this games music, it gets stuck in my head and feels very fluid.
It's also well-matched to the level. For example:
Rusty Ruin has earthy, ancient-sounding music.
Spring Stadium sounds bouncy and happy.
Volcano Valley sounds urgent and commanding.
Gene Gadget sounds science-like.
Final Fight sounds freaky and battle-esque.
All in all, Perfect music.

Control 8/10
Given, with the 3D twist, you have to make some changes, like changing the dash controls,
but still great and easy to use.

Other Stuff: 5/10
Well, the menus aren't exactly intuitive, the Heads-Up display isn't as great as it used to be, in fact, it SUCKS!
and the overall interface needs work, but it works, and that's the one, and only thing that matters.

OVERALL: 7/10
Like I said, the game has drawbacks that just can't be ignored, but if your a hardcore Sonic fan,
or you just love a decent video game, GET IT!
It's a BLAST (Pun Intended)

Rent or Buy?
Buy. Renting is just not the way to experience this game, Period.

Bottom Line: It's a good, fun game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 09/30/02, Updated 09/30/02