Review by Rick

"One of the most unappreciated Genesis games of all time..."

Is it just me, or did the whole world seem to forget about this game? While reading an early issue of DCM, it called Sonic Adventure Sonic's ''first true 3-D outing.'' What about this game? Let's take a look at it, ne?

This is a true last generation Genesis game before the Saturn (::gasp:: 2 highly underated products in one review!) came in and stole the spotlight, so the graphics are top-notch for their time. Shadows are finally taking roles in Sega's 3-D games, not to mention some cool new moves. (Homing Attack, Twirling Spin, etc.) If there is a silky smooth Genesis game in existence, it is this. And in 3-D no less! There is a bit of slowdown in some parts, but it's not that noticeable. Who else liked the opening ::chuckle:: FMV?

One of the best MIDI soundtracks I've ever heard. Sonic Team's campy, Japanese Pop-Rock fits right in in the blue boy's final Genesis game. All of the classic sounds from the original Sonic games are back. The jumps and poofs still haven't lost their upbeat sound effects. My only real complaint is the boss music. After the cool ones from Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, this one just doesn't live up to it's previous counterparts.

The gameplay in this game is all about your attraction to Sonic games. If you play for high-speed action while destroying robots, you'll like it. If you like all of the above but in a more senseless, objectiveless form, you probably won't like the game. The goal of each level is to find the magical birds called the Flickies (::snicker:: I'm such an immature little weirdo, but I crack up at that all the time.) imprisoned inside 5 robots throughout the level. You put them into a giant ring, and keep doing this for each level until you reach the boss of the level. This sounds pretty boring, but trust me, it's rather fun. The Bosses are, as you can probably tell, 3-Dimensional remixes of the former 2-D classics. Control is slightly bothersome with the Genesis controller as you have to have perfect timing and distance with your enemies to hit them. This isn't an issue once you get a Homing Shield, though.

Overall Fun Factor: 8/10

Sonic's final outing on Sega's arguably greatest system was not without it's pitfalls, but it had plenty of ropes to climb out with. Why is this game so underated? If it weren't for this game, Sonic Team wouldn't have the 3-D Sonic game bug. If it weren't for this game, where would Sonic Team have come up with the Homing Attack that made Sonic Adveture so bearable in terms of attacks? If it weren't for this game... Seeya! --Rick >:P

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/16/00, Updated 04/16/00