Review by Gigatek

"Sega VS Nintendo. The 16-Bit Wars."

In the beginning, Nintendo created the NES, which was one of the best-selling consoles ever. Sega had a lousy machine called the Master System, which was overshadowed by the success of the NES. After a while, Sega decided to take things to the next level and create the Genesis, a powerful 16-Bit system that had one of the fastest processing speeds ever.

Unfortunately, that's about it.

After Nintendo developed the SNES, the Genesis was falling behind, due to bad audio, less colorful graphics, and lack of a bigger variety of games.

The only highlight of their system was Sega's long time mascot: Sonic The Hedgehog. Sure, he's cool, but I like Mario better. I am one of the biggest Nintendo fans out there, and the SNES gets my attention. Not the Genesis.

***IMPORTANT NOTE!!!***

I looked at the other reviews for this console, and noticed that many people seem to hate Nintendo because they make childish games (a.k.a. Kirby and Pokemon). I wanted to clear things up a little, that maybe even the videogame industry should listen to:

It doesn't matter if Nintendo makes ''kiddy'' games, as long as they're fun to play. I mean, what was the purpose of making videogames to begin with? Making them fun! (Other than earning a boatload of money, that is).

--HISTORY: The 16-Bit Wars--

Back then, Nintendo had an excellent system called the NES, which literally changed the entire gaming industry. Shigeru Miyamoto, possibly the greatest videogame designer in the entire world, created a mascot for Nintendo: an italian plumber named Mario. For years and years, Mario, and plus some other videogame characters, had their own games on the NES, and because of that, it's rare to not see someone without a NES.

Sega, however, had a 8-Bit console called the Master System, which wasn't anywhere near as good as the NES. It was then they decided to create a 16-Bit system called the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. It was superior to the NES in every way, and because of that, gamers gave up on the old console and to the new.

Nintendo surprised everyone with a show of beautiful colors. The SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) was developed to become the most powerful 16-Bit system on the face of the planet. Personally, I think it is. Sega's 16-Bit console was a bit behind, due to some technical difficulties.

Meanwhile, the SNES was gaining control of the entire market. The Sega Genesis, and a few other 16-bit consoles were not doing a good job of catching up. Sega attempted to regain 1st place by developing several add-ons to the Genesis, such as the Sega CD and 32X (a 32-Bit upgrade). Even so, Nintendo was unstoppable, and Sega was falling behind.

The main reason of that is because the Genesis didn't have a better library of games. Yes, I love sports games, but more than 3/4 of the collection was full of sports. The console lacked many videogame categories, and though Sega did their best to catch up, they fell to the supreme empire of Nintendo.

GRAPHICS: 6/10

The Genesis had good graphics, but it lacked color. The SNES had 256 colors, while the Genesis had around 50 or so, which is extremely dull. However, I liked the graphics in Sonic The Hedgehog 1-3 and Knuckles.

SOUND: 7/10

The sound isn't anywhere near as great as the SNES, but it's still pretty good. Sonic The Hedgehog's music is extremely well done, for example (although I like the music in Megaman better).

CONTROL: 6/10

The Genesis controller was a bit larger than the SNES controller. Consisting of the D-pad (four directional pad), three buttons (A, B, C), and the START button, the controller wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, the SNES controller was easier to handle, and had four buttons, the D-Pad, the START button, and R and L buttons on top of the controller. Obviously, the Genesis controller could've used some more buttons.

GAMES: 5/10

The SNES had an enormous library of games. The Genesis did too, and some of them are pretty darn good. Otherwise, the only thing you would find is sports titles and such, which people don't find enjoyable to play. This is one of the biggest weaknesses of the console.

Action Games - There were some action games, a fair amount of them too. Some like Sonic The Hedgehog and Castlevania really hit the mark, but other that that, not many games were devoted to this category.

RPG (Role-playing games) - The SNES had a huge amount of RPG's. Unfortunately, the Genesis only consisted of the Phantasy Star series (awesome games), Shining Force, and a few others. It's sad when you find a console without all your favorites and such (anybody see Final Fantasy? I certainly don't).

FIGHTING - The Genesis had a few fighting games, such as Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. The games are very close to the arcade-style, which was a good thing. The SNES, however, had more fighting games than this amount.

SPORTS: 10/10

This isn't good, you know. The Sega Genesis's downfall was due to its lack of action and RPG's. The sports games were horrible. There were just too many of them, and as far as I'm concerned, I know a lot of people who don't like playing sports games all the time. Bad move, Sega. Your mistake let your rival triumph.

...There are a lot more categories, but these are the most important ones.

APPEARANCE: 10/10

The Genesis has a very cool look to it. It's mostly black in color, including the game cartridges. The controller is completely black, and is a bit more curve-shaped than the SNES controller. The console consists of the RESET button, a headphone volume setting, and the POWER switch. In the middle exist the words ''16 BIT'' and below that is a small round, area where it glows red when the power's on. You insert the game cartridge in the spot just above the words ''16-BIT''. The game cartridges are almost equal to the size of the SNES cartridges, being approximately 12 cm on the top and bottom and 9 cm on the sides.

OVERALL: 6/10

The Sega Genesis/Megadrive is a great system, don't get me wrong. It's just that with some bad games and minor disadvantages, the SNES is really the console worth playing. Although I don't really like Sega as much as I like Nintendo, their blue hedgehog mascot is extremely hip and I love his games.

Sorry to all you Sega fans, but I like the SNES better than the Genesis.

If I were anybody, I would buy both consoles, because they're both fantastic and it's always worth trying both.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/03, Updated 07/15/03