Review by Rick

"Sega's greatest system to date"

Yeah, you heard me. Sega's greatest system ever. I am dead serious about this because when I first went on GameFAQs I promised myself I would only give a 10 to something that truly deserved it. Out of my 12 reviews, this, the 13th one, is the first one that gets a 10. I don't care about graphics or control. In my opinion, game selction is the most important thing in a system, and the Genesis is brilliant.

Graphical Capabilities: 10/10

For it's time, it was the greatest. I found it to be smoother than the SNES not to mention more colorful. Only surpassed by the Turbo Grafx-16 in terms of graphic capabilities, this was the greatest game machine of it's time. Even by comparing Sonic the Hedgehog to, oh say, Sonic & Knuckles, the games looked great from 1st gen to final gen. Which is more than I can say for some other systems. (*cough* PSX *cough* Saturn *cough*) Ahem, sorry.

Sound Capabilities: 8/10

By far the Genesis' weakest fault, those of you who have read my other Sega General/System FAQs know how much I hate this thing. Nowhere near as good as the SNES sound chip, but somehow the Sega developers managed to take this thing and make some truly beautiful MIDI. Even late 80's games like Phantasy Star II had music that could rival FFVI on the SNES. I guess it's all in how you use it, eh?

Load Time/Controls/Memory: 10/10

Catridges. No load time. I know it's sacreligious in the video game world now, but I miss 'em, and always will. (Except for the N64. Ugh!) The controller for the Genesis is probably my third favorite in the home console world. (Right behind the PSX and *royal trumpet sounds* the Sega Dreamcast controller!) It has a very nice D-Pad that remains to be one of the best out there. The 3-Button set up is revolutionary and this and the extra 6-Button Controller continue to inspire the Sega Controllers of today. No memory unless the cartridge had battery backed-up memory. Never again! No more of that now that CDs (and GDs and DVDs) have become the game storage medium of choice. I never liked it that much because if you were a social gamer then at other people's houses you could never work on your file.

Game Selection: 10/10

The Genesis' strongest point was it's game selection. Who cares if it didn't have SquareSoft?! Screw them for once! Genesis had Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Sonic the Hedgehog, stuff that would blow SquareSoft away if given the chance. (Don't get me wrong, I like SquareSoft and their games. But it pisses me off as to how they are set up. One system? If they spreaded their martket to different systems *cough* Dreamcast *cough* than they would not only make more money but would expand their fanbase, too.) All of the games mentioned abovwere series that appeared on the Genesis. Buy all of them. Every last one of them. They all were classics. But reccomendations include (for each genre); Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, and 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Mortal Kombat II, and most of the Acclaim games were pretty good on this platform.

Overall Fun Factor: 10/10

''The Greatest System of all Time'' Award is always running at a fast pace. But as of right now, the Genesis stays in a firm spot in 2nd place with the NES with a tight lead in 1st and the Playstation firmly placed in 3rd. Join the winning team and jump on the Sega bandwagon. RIGHT NOW! Seeya! --Rick >:P

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/00, Updated 04/23/00