"You only need to push one button to execute Sweet Chin Music? Wow..."

NOTE: This is NOT a new review. Ages ago, during a server upgrade, this older review I did was shuffled to the 32X version's reviews of this game. Since I finally decided to stop being lazy about this, I've removed the 32X version of this review and am resubmitting it to Genesis.

Intro
One of the only games I've ever actually bought for my Genesis. In fact, it's the only game I've ever bought NEW for my Genesis, the rest I either got for free from friends or bought used. I was hoping they would keep something around the same format they had on WWF Raw is War or WWF Royal Rumble only with better graphics. Unfortunately, my worst fear for any wrestling game came true: They gave it more of a fighting format than a wrestling format.

Here's the Plan...
In WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, you have can choose to play as several different (past) WWF wrestlers such as Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Lex Luger, Yokozuna (R.I.P.), The Undertaker, Doink the Clown, Razor Ramon, and Bam Bam Bigelow. Unfortunately, most of these guys aren't even in the WWF anymore (but I won't take that as a count against the game). As in any wrestling game, you compete with other wrestlers. However, instead of beating your opponent senseless enough to get in a successful pin or submission, you're just beating them senseless. Each match is a best two-out-of-three contest. After you've beaten your opponent senseless, you got for a pin (WWF's version of K.O. in fighting games). Opponents can kick out one time if they're lucky, but only once per round. After you've won two rounds, you win the match.

The Lovechild of WWF and Mortal Kombat?
This basically feels like they threw a lot of MK into this game. From the realistic graphics to the insane moves. Actually, I found that to be an upside to this game was the moves, at least. I thought it was kind of cool to play a wrestling game with strange moves.

Graphics
The graphics aren't great, but they are pretty good as I see it. They even have a sent of realism at times. I usually don't favor graphics of this type, but these are the best ones I've seen. They also work well with the extremely crazy moves you can do in this game and its animation.

Sounds
The sounds were probably the most unimpressive thing. It was nice to finally hear some commentary in a wrestling game!

[gets flogged for comparing it to WWF Warzone]

Sorry... I don't know what I was thinking... Anyway, the only real downside to the sounds was the music. I didn't quite hate the music, it just got quite irritating hearing the same theme songs over and over again, even at the ending credits. The sound effects had a nice touch to them which also added to the insane moves in this game.

Characters
I listed the characters above, but I'll go into more depth here. I like all the characters in the game, but I felt they could've used a few more. I think their moves fit their character perfectly. Most of Bam Bam Bigelow's moves are based on flames and brute force, Yokozuna's are based on weight advantage, Lex Luger's are befitting of an extremely strong man.

All This Praise...6?
There are a few issues I have with this game. Do not get me wrong, this game does not totally suck. It can actually be a fun game for a while, but the issues still exist. For one, I hate using the Genesis 3-button control. Sure, you could use the six button, but I don't own one. Sure, the response was okay, but the main problem came with trying to memorize all the extra button combinations you had to push together to execute different moves. The game also did get pretty boring after a while. Within a week, I had this game beaten on the hardest mode. I also felt this game lacked some actual wrestling. Not as many suplexes, throws, and submissions as one would've wanted. Sure, the crazy moves are cool, but they're not substitute for good grapples and throws.

FINAL JUDGMENT
Graphics: Not bad 7/10
Sounds: Blech! 5/10
Control: Too bad the main Genesis controls only have three main buttons 6/10
Plot/Storyline: N/A
Gameplay: Can be fun, but gets repetitive like any wrestling game after about a few weeks 7/10
All Together: 6/10

Perks
*Crazy moves!
*Nice graphics
*Fun for a week, anyway...

Downers
*Music
*Not enough actual wrestling
*I really got sick of ''PIIIN HIIIM!'' pretty quick
*Control Issues

Recommendations
Don't get me wrong, this is not a bad game. I do think it's worth a look for hardcore wrestling fans and even for fighting fans (even those who don't like wrestling).

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/30/09

Game Release: WWF WrestleMania: The Arcade Game (US, 12/31/95)