Review by coil lsd

"It's wrestling, but with an entertaining and wacky feel"

In the beginning:

I saw this great game had no reviews and seeing as this is my first ever review it'd be good to start here.

Unlike many of the wwf/wwe games, this one has no grapple meter, no referee, etc. What we have is a fun take on what can be a limited genre. Wrestling games tend to be hit or miss, and I will explain why this is a definite hit.
This has a great digitized graphics for the genesis and features your chosen wrestler (there are 8 to pick from) against one, two, three and finally 8 (yes, really!) fighters to win the championship.
The wrestlers are: Razor Ramon, Doink, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Yokozuna, Lex Luger and Bam Bam Bigelow. Being the last wrestling game on the genesis, it was released around 1995..so you won't find Stone Cold, Kane, etc here.

Gameplay:

It plays great! Lots of fun, each player has different moves and some are quite unrealistic, but hey, its not meant to be a serious wrestling simulation. The format is a cross between the Final Fight, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat titles and it works well.
I would recommend using the 6 button pad as the different buttons relate to different actions and the moves are performed much like the other beat em ups mentioned above.
There's many moves and also combos to perform when ''combo'' is flashing. As said, 6 buttons works like a dream and in no time you'll be doing uppercuts, super kicks and backbreakers.
There are 2 modes: Intercontinental title, and World title.
The main difference being that the first is a bit easier because you are fighting less people. On World title mode, the minimum opponents are 2 and then 3 and then the challenge match! In each mode the difficulty ranges from very easy to very hard, so adjust it to suit your ability.

Graphics:

Very good for the genesis. Characters are digitized like Mortal Kombat and they are all very realistic. A very cool thing is the run up to the fights, where the character runs to his next challenge..when you are Yokozuna the screen literally shakes as he's running! In the actual ring, the graphics are very smooth, although there's a little slow down sometimes when there are four or more wrestlers in the ring, but its nothing major. One minor thing is that the crowd is just ''shadows'' or cuttouts, not animated at all.
Still, you won't notice when you're beating your opponents senseless.

Sound:

Again, considering this is a genesis, quite impressive. There's little soundbites through the game, announcing the wrestlers, and little catchprases while you are fighting.
The sound adds to an already great game, and is something that puts many newer wrestling games to shame!

Replay value:

I would not say 100% because there are only the two modes of play as mentioned..its still a strong 90% though. You'll keep coming back to this game simply because of the thrill in discovering new moves and combos and using different tactics on the harder difficulty levels where the computer blocks more. There's also a two player mode, which I haven't tried, but it can only be good.
Above all, because its a not too serious take on wrestling, and quite fast, you can set it on very easy and take out your frustrations!

In conclusion:

A very solid 8/10. It's not perfect, owing to lack of additional game modes and it possibly could have done with a couple more wrestlers..but its a great fun game.
Definitely worth buying. I'm in the UK and found it on ebay for about 7 dollars and its quite rare here. I would pay up to around 20 dollars if necessary.
The only better all round wresting game I've played is Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 02/09/04