What kinds of save games does GameFAQs accept?
GameFAQs accepts original (i.e. your own) saved games for:
- Dreamcast: DCI memory card saves only.
- Game Boy Advance: GameShark or Pro Action Replay format saves only.
- GameCube: USB Adapter (.GCI) or GameShark format saves only.
- Nintendo 64: DexDrive (.N64) format saves only.
- Nintendo DS: Action Replay 1.00-1.03 (.DSS) or later (.DST/.DUC) format saves only.
- Nintendo Wii: Wii game save file (.BIN) or Datel Wii Power Save (.WII) format saves only. When submitting a Wii game save file, we require the four letter directory name where the file should be saved.
- PlayStation: DexDrive (.PSX) format saves only. PlayStation 3 Virtual Memory Card Saves should be ZIPped when submitted.
- PlayStation 2: X-Port, SharkPort, MAX Drive format saves only. PlayStation 3 Virtual Memory Card Saves should be ZIPped when submitted (for PS2 Classics).
- PlayStation 3: ZIPped save file directories only.
- PSP: ZIPped save file directories only.
- Xbox: Pro Action Replay or GameShark format saves only.
Why doesn't GameFAQs accept other kinds of game saves?
There are no well-supported save-game download systems for other console formats yet. We don't accept emulation save states for legal reasons, and PC game saves are often enormous, difficult to use, incompatible from one version of the software to the next, and can contain viruses or malware.
How do I get a game save onto my computer?
For the most part, you will need an external device that links your computer to either the game console (such as the SharkPort) or a device that can read game saves off of a memory card or cartridge (such as the DexDrive). Various companies sell these devices in different countries; consult your local game store for more information.