Review by odino

"Jurassic Duck"

I was so looking forward to this game. It sounded great on paper. A subplot to the action that was Jurassic Park, a great movie by the way, and if you don't like the movie then stay away from it right away because you won't like it either. You follow what happened to the "shaving cream", the vet and his daughter, and other survivors on the island. You never get to see anything from the movie either, but events tie in close and you start out with the storm, then some action during it and later you also get to where the movie ended. This is only episode 1 of 4 so afterwards Telltale pretty much added new plots such as some mysteries dinosaurs (no spoilers). At first I was enjoying how they do it, but later noticed that the story is kind of thin and uninteresting, and most of the game involves action sequences padded by boring investigations of the area. I did enjoy the forest with the van, but the others weren't so excited. I was disappointed here but that is not the worst problem.

Playing on the iPad 2, this game has some huge performance issues. They claim you should first restart the device and then play but it did not help. It makes the game unplayable. Maybe on the iPad 3 it is much better, or it depends on your iOS version. Nevertheless the game has not been optimized well. The problem is that many of the actions such as swipes and gestures will not be recognized, or you will not have time to complete it due to the game stuttering. One sequence involves cutting branches left and right and I practically missed half of them due to this issue. It will make getting gold rewards impossible.

Graphic-wise the game is not also so impressive. It probably should have been a PC game only, but then on the PC I don't see how the gestures will be 1. fun, 2. be anything of a game and 3. have gamers complain it is too casual.

The first episode is free at the time I write this, so I suggest you check it out. Do not expect anything like Telltale has made, although the Walking Dead seems to be similar. Interactive movies are more interesting than this. Fortunately you can check out an episode to judge it for yourself. Overall it will only take you 2-3 hours per episode so in total I don't think it is worth the money.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 09/12/12

Game Release: Jurassic Park: The Game 1 HD (US, 11/15/11)