Review by Raging_Time

"Not even a game, just a nostalgia cash grab"

Playing the game has sapped me of nearly all motivation to review it for you, but I feel like I have a civic duty to gamers everywhere to warn you away from this game. And so, a quick review will be displayed for your perusal.

I'll start with the winning strategy, and indeed, the only strategy. Run your finger up and down the right side of the screen. Congratulations, that is the only activity you will ever require while playing this game.

The game has an interesting basic premise - you are in control of a large number of class based warriors who are proceeding through the universe fighting a number of cameo enemies and bosses from every game, to traditional chiptune music from the games. In addition, you can purchase (for real money) a number of cameo characters from previous games. You can also get equipment periodically as well.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can DO with any of that. All characters have only one action, attack. You can't even choose which classes you use. Nor can you choose which cameos to buy. Equipment can't be bought, it's earned randomly, and cannot be equipped. Every single possible choice you as a player could make has been removed from the game.

No, it is not really a game at all. It is a progressive gallery of nostalgia sprites and music, for which you must pay 4$ as an entry fee, and then as much as another 50$ inside to view all the exhibits. It's just a collection of pretty pictures and sounds. So pick yourself, head down to some spriters resource, and take a look at sprites from the old games. It'll cost you less and waste less of your time than this utterly worthless parody of a game.

It does have some redeeming features, mind you, bringing it above one star and all the way up to the grandiose heights of two stars. The music and art is very faithful to the traditional games, and very well executed. So it's pretty. There's always that. If you're a fan of the games, it is mildly interesting to see the different classes, and the different sprite representations from other Final Fantasy games if you so choose to splurge on the premium characters (not recommended).

That said, overall, Square Enix should be ashamed to produce this game. The developers should be ashamed of themselves for working on it. And anyone who buys it should be ashamed for buying it. I know I am. As a final note, I offer that if this was the game released in Squaresoft's final hour instead of the original Final Fantasy, it would not have survived, it's crisis, and the company would have justifyably bankrupted itself into the mists of oblivion.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/13

Game Release: Final Fantasy: All the Bravest (US, 01/17/13)