Review by RedNavySailor

"The iPhone isn't as bad as people think!"

It's been a few years since the iPhone/iPod Touch was released. Since then, many updates, applications, and add-ons have been being tried out on the item itself. Many people like the iPhone/iPod Touch mainly because it can hold music, videos, podcasts AND can go on the internet... Even though millions- maybe even billions of applications have been added to the App Store since it came out, people are underestimating what the iPhone/iPod Touch can really do, thus making it under appreciated. Let's see if looking at the good and bad sides can change anything.

Hardware: 10/10

I already know that a lot of people like the iPod Touch from it's slim and smooth design... While people like the iPhone for it being the perfect weight and the perfect size for a phone. Both have touch screens that only work for fingers (nothing else) and both have pretty much the same applications (except the iPhone has a camera and phone while the iPod Touch does not). The iPhone is, in my opinion, not as good as the iPod Touch. The iPhone may be able to access cell towers to get to the internet, but I think the iPod Touch runs smoother on Wi-Fi than the iPhone. I found my iPod Touch to be faster and a little bit clearer than my iPhone. I'm not trying to influence people to not get an iPhone, I mean, they both are probably the best kinds of technology you can have now... But I'm just saying, iPod Touch is for people who are more into the internet, music, and videos than the iPhone, which is mainly a phone (obviously). Overall, I say the iPod Touch has a great model, it runs slightly better than the iPhone, and it's slightly faster as well.

Applications/Games: 10/10

What else can I say? I think the iPhone/iPod Touch can have better games than the PSP or DS if it wanted to! With many great games such as Resident Evil: Degeneration (even Resident Evil 4!), Hero of Sparta, Metal Gear Solid: Touch, Bejewled 2, and many many more, the gallery can only get bigger and better. You'd be surprised how many companies put games up on the App Store... PangeaSoft, Konami, SEGA, Gamevil... And too much more to name, these companies can make the gallery some more than just a gaming gallery, but a masterpiece gallery. Also, please not that most games run on virtual buttons (such as a D-Pad and a couple buttons on the touch screen that you can press), for example, you'll know what I mean if you play Otto Matic or Resident Evil: Degeneration.

As for the applications... Social Networking, Tools, Weather... You name it! I guarantee the App Store will have it, and not all games and Apps have a price! Some are even free! There is a wide range of applications to help you get through your day and entertain yourself... Or you could just mess around with some apps.

Overall, there are so many Apps and Games on the iTunes Application Store that I guarantee that there IS IN FACT a game or app for everyone and anyone. Trust me.

Controls: 9.5/10

The iPhone/iPod Touch does in fact have controls that you need to get good at. Obviously, the touch screen requires to use your finger(s) to do many things. The main thing is to tap something and it activates, but you can also use 2 fingers to zoom in and out on certain apps... Like Safari (the internet for iPhone/iPod Touch). All you need to do is put 2 fingers on the screen and move them closer together to zoom out, or move them apart to zoom in. It may sound easy, but it took me a long time to get used to the feeling. That's probably the only con of the controls... Plus the fact that when you tap something, you may not be tapping the thing you want every time... You have to slowly touch it.

Comparison to DSi and PSP

This small piece of technology can, in fact, be compared to the PSP and DSi. Let's start by comparing it to the DSi.

DSi: Okay, so they both have touch screens, they both have their own app store, and they can both hold pics and music... Sounds to me like Nintendo is trying to make their DS creation a little more like the iPod Touch if you ask me... That explains the "i" in DSi. Anyways, as far as I know, DSi cannot hold certain music files and cannot hold videos like the iPod Touch can... Plus Nintendo's DS Shop is not as big as the iTunes App Store. Although the iPod is superior music, video, and internet wise... DSi also has it's share of advantages over the iPod Touch. It's gaming library is fairly superior to the iPod Touch and the games do run smoother and do not need a memory chip like the iPod Touch does, unless you're downloading from the DS Store, plus the 2 screens the DSi has. DSi also doesn't have as good graphics as the iPod Touch. Certainly, the iPod Touch has far better graphics on most games than the DSi, since the iPod Touch has a higher resolution. Although, I've said enough about the DSi. Let's move on to PSP.

PSP: To me, the PSP is the same thing as the iPod Touch, besides the design, the gaming library, the graphics on the games, and the internet connectivity. They both have a store, they both have downloadable games (except PSP has games in store as well), they can both go on the internet, hold music, movies, and a lot more. The only thing that I want on a PSP is a touch screen. I think it could be better that way. The PSP also has slightly better graphics than the iPhone/iPod Touch. If I had to rate it, I'd give PSP a 10 and the iPod Touch a 7 on graphics. PSP also has inferior internet connection to iPod Touch (from what I noticed) and PSP obviously has a better library of games, but certainly less games than the iPod Touch. I don't really have much more to say about it.

Now let's look at the Pros. and Cons.

+ Awesome design
+ Great selection of games and apps
+ Can do just about everything you might want a mobile device to do
+ Sound and quality is great
+ Apps and games are organized neatly
+ Sold for at the perfect price (for 8GB)

- Battery life can be short (which can be solved by turning the brightness down)
- The 16 or 32 GB can lag a lot at certain times

The smallest things can do a lot to a device. Notice those things, and you decide whether it's good or not. Personally, I'd recommend this device (mainly an iPod Touch) to any person who likes portable gaming, going on the internet, watching movies on the road, or listening to music. I say buy it if you're 1 of those kinds of people. It may be confusing at times, but I'm sure you'll manage and have a great time. Trust me.

So go out and get an iPod Touch (or iPhone) now!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/28/09

Game Release: iPhone (US, 06/29/07)