Review by JThomson

"Not perfect, but can't argue for the price"

Seeing that Capcom had cut the price of one of my favourite games of all time to a measly dollar, I thought "why not buy it, if it's terrible, it's only a dollar, who cares". Is it as good as the original? No. Is it playable? Yes.

For those that have lived under a rock for the last 20 years, the whole concept of more or less any game in the Mega Man series is "evil about, Dr. Wily usually the cause, defeat series of robot masters in somewhat themed levels, then take on series of final boss levels". This doesn't stray from the formula.

The main gripe I have with the game is the control method. With it being a touch screen, it's somewhat awkward to handle. It's not a terminal fault, but it's certainly nowhere near as easy as it is to play as on a conventional controller, or a keyboard for that matter. Getting the correct direction to move is sometimes tricky, and doing all of jumping/moving/firing at the same time is also difficult. Switching the game to play sideways if anything makes things worse, with outright bad button positions.

The conversion isn't perfect. Some enemies have slightly different attack patterns (the largish jumping enemies at the start of the Heatman level probably being the best example). It's not possible to item-2 skip over the huge disappearing block puzzle in the same level the way you'd normally do it, as the timing of the blocks appearing differs and will just kill you instantly. It is also a lot easier - it has three difficulty settings, but normal on this is much easier than normal on the original. Things take less effort to kill (e.g. Wily stage 4's boss can be done in one round without perfectly shooting multiple things at once, as would normally be required, and the final boss is laughably easy). Your weapons also get refilled after each level of Wily's castle, which takes away the whole point of ammo management which made things somewhat tricky. The background music also doesn't loop correctly on many levels, although it's still arguably the best video game soundtrack ever.

For a cheap laugh to kill some hours if you're not able to get to an actual gaming platform, I can't not recommend it, but it's somewhat flawed, and it's preferable to play on another format if you can and have never actually played it before. I was a bit sceptical as to whether a console platformer can be ported to the iPhone well - it can, but it's not really suited to it in the way games designed specifically for it are.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/01/10

Game Release: Mega Man II (EU, 03/26/09)