Review by Llamaman2

"Great for Very Addictive Games, Home to Many Bad Games"

Nowadays everyone seems to have a cell phone. Many companies have realized this, and have started to make many games for phones. This surge of games is not all that great though. Many of these games use half-baked ideas that don't turn out well. Also, many games cost $7 for unlimited use, but there is no free trial to see if you like a game.

One of the great things about a phone is that you have it almost anywhere, anytime. This makes it a great home to games you'll just play over and over again. These games are addictive, they want you to keep playing, and you listen. Things as simple as flying through a cavern will keep you entertained for hours because you just want to beat that darn high score of yours. This is where a cell phone exceeds, bringing easy to play and pick up games that will keep you interested when you are bored. The problem is, some of these games aren't worth the $5 you have to shell out to buy one.

Another great genre for cell phones is puzzles. These simple games will get you through those 15 minutes waiting for an appointment or riding a bus. Since many puzzle games have 200+ puzzles and we assume it takes 5 minutes per puzzle, that's a total of 1,000 minutes of time spent doing something other than waiting. Unfortunately, these too suffer from overpricing.

One issue I have with the phone is its control setup. Instead of using the easy way and using the up, down, left, and right arrows for directions, many games use numbers 2,4,5,6, and 8. Maybe its just me, but this is confusing an could have easily been fixed. Graphics wise, some games are good, some uh just aren't. There are a few high end games out there that fully use the phones capabilities, but others are a bunch of blocky textures that don't look like anything. Sound quality in many games are also bad, with annoying high pitched beeps.

Overall, I'd say that the phone deserves a score slightly above average. This is more of a potential score, instead of a current score. This is because, the phone is the best time waster out there, and mobile games are easy to come by. Quality is a problem, as is cost, but I believe that soon, the mobile phone will become a system with some great games.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/21/07, Updated 11/30/07

Game Release: Mobile Hardware (US, 12/31/99)