Review by TheBlindXiahou

"The best Metal Gear game ever made..."

Do not underestimate this game just because it was made for MSX. This is the best Metal Gear game ever made. Sure the graphics aren't much buts its the gameplay that counts.

The story is great and very emotional. You are Solid Snake. A member of an elite group of commando's known as FOXHOUND. You are sent to Zanzibar by Colonel Roy Campbell to free hostages and to dispose of the nuclear weapon known as Metal Gear. You are given help over the communication device by Colonel Campbell, Master Miller, and other characters. You meet up with characters in Zanzibar. Some live and some die. It's for you to find out unless you already played Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2: Son's Of Liberty then you would know who lives and who dies. The story is filled with twists and turns as you see betrayal and sadness throughout the game.

The controls are simple. Move around, shoot, punch, call someone or use an item. Nice and simple.

The music is very good. I dont know why but I just love it. It sounds awesome and fits into the plot very well.

The game is very difficult. It's not as hard as I thought it would be but it still is hard. Starting out with absolutely nothing and about 2 gunshots would kill you means that it's hard. You'll soon acquire a pistol but be warned. The guards have good eyes and ears and can ear and see everything that they are facing. If they find you, RUN! They will chase you from screen to screen until you hide and they cant find you for 15 seconds. This is a big warning once you get the machine gun. I recommend still using the pistol (make sure you equip the silencer) while walking through the hallways.

There is not much of a point in replaying this game unless you just feel like playing it again. The story line is intense and you might not remember everything on your first try. Also by replaying the game you might understand why some things had to happen.

If you have played Metal Gear Solid you will notice some similar things. One of them is the helicopter fight by hiding and then popping out and shooting a Stinger at the helicopter (Yes this game has Stinger's. Hard to believe). Also Grey Fox calling you and saying the same thing he says in Metal Gear Solid ''Just think of me as one of your fans.'' After witnessing all of this you will see just how original this game is and how unoriginal the sequels are.

You can find this game online at some web sites.
Search for ROMs and go to MSX ROMs and they'll probably have it since there are only 2 good games for the MSX.
This one and Metal Gear, prelude to this one...

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/26/02, Updated 10/26/02