Review by Pyro Vesten

"1080 is a very fun, and original game, I recommend it to just about anyone."

I bought 1080 the week it came out as I had heard some great reviews for it. It came with a coupon to enter a competition to win a pair of $160(Australian) Bollé Snakes (Sunnies). I entered the comp and to my disbelief a few weeks later a package arrived in the mail. It was a Free pair of $160 Bollé Snakes. I was utterly amazed that I had won something. Let alone something worth $160. Perhaps that’s why I love 1080 so much. Or maybe it’s that 1080's just a plain great game. I think it’s the latter.

Gameplay
1080 is like learning to ride a bike. At first it’s hard(especially to control), then all of a sudden you can do it. And you don’t forget how. When I first played the game the day I got it home I was crap. I kept flying into walls and losing races, but by the end of the week I was winning races, often. I did however have a problem not too long ago with 1080. I had been playing too Much of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater and THPS2 and when I went to play 1080 I was pushing all the wrong buttons to do things. Though I did manage to pull of 3 consecutive 1080's about 5-10 mins after I started to play, thus proving I still had the “touch”, as I said, it’s like riding a bike, once you know how, you don’t forget.
9/10

Graphics

1080's graphics are very nice indeed. With crisp, clear textures, nice looking snowboarders and superbly created landscapes. 1080 is a treat to look at. There are also a lot of little details like the trail your board leaves in the snow as it travels through it, and the spray of soft snow as you land from a massive jump, to the addition of high winds and thick snowfall on the harder difficulty settings. Another nice detail is that the baggy snowboarding clothes the riders wear flap about in the wind when you build up enough speed, this was pretty impressive when 1080 first came out, and isn’t half bad today either.
8/10

Sound

The music in 1080 is one of it’s strong points. With a very large variety of loud, heavy/rock type tracks, all of which suit the game well. The music on the intro screen is heard there and only there. Same with the music in the boarder select cabin. And each track has it’s own music as well. And some of the songs will make you think “Did I hear what I think I heard?!?!?”(You’ll have to play the game to know what I mean). The sound effects are also good, with riders grunting when knocked, the sound of the board carving a trail through the snow, to the sharp sound of gliding over ice .
9/10

Multiplayer

1080 also has a multiplayer option though it is only 2 players, it’s quite fun. Being 5 seconds away from the finish of a race with your opponent just in front of you, side swiping them and causing them to fall while you hoon past and finish 1st while they beat your head in for doing it is what it’s all about. A 4 player mode would have been better but the 2 player mode is still very good indeed.
8/10

Replayability

After you beat 1080, you will still come back to for multiplayer at parties a fair bit.
Even today(in 2001) I still play 1080 sometimes, and will continue to for some time to come.
7/10

Overall

Overall 1080 is an amazing game with a good challenge to keep you playing for months. I recommend renting it first because it’s not up all peoples alley, but personally I absolutely love the game. Only a marginally less enjoyable than Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater.

I recommend this game to anyone at all. But try before you buy, as not all will love it as much as I do.

Overall 9/10