Review by Casanova973

"The best snowboarding game ever on the N64!"

1080 Snowboarding is a wonderful snowboarding game for the Nintendo 64. It is a great game and I am sure very few will disagree with me. I still play it nearly all the time with my brother, but the single player replay value is not very high. I recommend this game to just about any gamer, not the just extreme sport gamers. It has outstanding gameplay and half-decent graphics. As short as this game may be, you will still enjoy it while it lasts. On with the review!

Almost perfect gameplay. You have your own choice of levels once you have unlocked them, you can choose your own characters and you can select what board you want. This is quite a big step in snowboarding games. Once you have selected out of your choices, you can relax and slide down the biggest 3-D mountain in the world! You can perform real tricks with professional boarders and you can crash into rocks and trees which makes the gameplay even more realistic. I think that if they improved a little with the graphics, they could have made the gameplay better. I think that the gameplay deserves a 9/10.

I wasn't sure what score I should give the graphics because they're up and down, kind of like a roller-coaster as some would call it. Some parts of the graphics are good such as the characters; but the paper cut-out trees and rocks spoil the atmosphere on the mountains. The boards are very realistic so anyone can tell they made an effort there but there are so many little things like the paper cut-outs that need to be fixed up. I am not sure what score I should give the graphics, but I'm going to stick with 8/10.

There is a lot of hard rock in the game. As you would expect of any extreme sport game there is not really going to be some classical music in it. Most of it is rock. Not that I am a fan of rock or metal but the music does fit in with the game. Going down a steep hill grinding up and down rocks a 50mph with hardcore guitars blasting through your ear-drums. It just creates a better atmosphere to the game. The down-fall of the sound is the sound-effects. They are really quite poor and they could have been so much better. The sound-effects don't really affect the sound that much so I still think that the sound deserves a 8/10.

Replay Value: 7/10
I still play this game now as I noted earlier on in the review. I don't really play it by myself anymore because I can basically go through any course with my eyes close. I only really play this game for competitive reasons against my friends or my brother, I don't really play it for any other reason. This game probably won't last you as long as it lasted me because I have totally rinced out this game. You will probably spend a whole decent month completing this game.

Rent or Buy:
You should probably rent out this game for about three days and see how you like it. If you are still not sure about it there is no harm in selling it or giving it back to the shop, is there?

That's all for now, folks! I hope you enjoyed this review and I hope you now know what to expect when you play this game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/10/04