Review by TheProdigy

"Is the yellow snow lemon flavored?"

Introduction to 1080 Snowboarding

This is another one of my old favorites for the Nintendo 64, and I have a lot of experience with it. It is a snowboarding game, and let me tell you right now, it is very challenging. It takes so much practice to get good it's not even funny. But if you can get good, then you can challenge everyone you know, and wipe the floor with them, and that's always fun.

This game was released in 1998 by Nintendo. It is rated E for everyone and is for one to two players. Okay, here we go.

Game play and Controls 7/10

The riding aspect of the game is very smooth and easy, taking turns is nice, riding on ice. Crouching and jumping takes practice to get the timing right, but after practice it is easy enough. Everything works pretty well except for one thing, doing tricks. In order to do tricks, you have to button combos, that's okay right? Well when you see these combos, you'll be shocked. As far as I'm concerned, 720 is the best trick that is possible to land. At least for me, 1080s, backflips, front flips, seem out of reach. The button combinations are just way too hard.

That main problem with the button combos is the spins of the control stick. Sometimes you have to do a half turn, sometimes a full, sometimes two or three, and sometimes, spins don't register in the game. This leads to problems, obviously. This is the only part of the game that is bad. Easier tricks are fairly simple to perform, obviously getting harder and harder the more difficult they get.

Things you should notice in the game are your energy/health bar. This goes down every time you fall or crash into things, this makes it very important to master crouching, otherwise you will fall a lot. If your energy bar runs out, you forfeit the race and automatically get last. Not fun, make sure you figure out crouching. Also, you will see several different paths, some are quicker than others, and this is important since this is a race. Try different trails and figure out which ones are quicker if you want to win. Also be careful to jump over things in the snow, otherwise you'll trip over it and lose energy.

Graphics 10/10

The graphics are the best part of the game. For a Nintendo 64 game, the graphics are amazing. They are very smooth and detailed. Notice the trail you leave in the snow behind you, your jacket flapping in the breeze, and just the overall clarity of the levels. It's perfect, a great job by Nintendo.

Sound 10/10

Cool music with a good beat to ride to. Sound effects fit in perfectly. Nothing not to like in the sound category. Another good job by Nintendo.

Replay Value 10/10

The overall replay value is high because there is a lot to do in this game. There is plenty of different one player modes, coupled with several different two player races and things. There is also a lot of different things to unlock, and it is fun to try to beat you high scores. This game basically has everything you need to keep you entertained for quite a long time. Plenty of retail value.

Final Recommendation

I don't really see much point in renting this game, so I would say just go for it and buy it. It is plenty of fun for you and a friend or family member, as I explained above, it is not very expensive at all, so there is no reason not to buy it. You will enjoy having it with your collection available to play whenever you are, so go for it!

Final score: 9/10