Review by outbreakorn

"BT is no BK, but still a great game"

Banjo Tooie is a great game, huge levels, and great gameplay, but it stills doesn't capture the fun factor of Banjo Kazooie.

Gameplay
The levels in Banjo Tooie are absolutely huge, and all without the help of the expansion pack. It's a standard Rare adventure game, so if you played the first game or Donkey Kong, or games of that nature, you will be right at home. The way you collect things if different. Instead of gathering single eggs, or single feathers, you get nest full. So you get 20 red feathers per pickup, and 20 blue eggs per pickup, 5 notes per pickup, and so on. This makes the game a lot easier, but in my opinion, less fun. There are a ton of new moves, and all the old ones are back, plus you get four new eggs. Also, just getting one jiggy is a lot harder. They also change up the gameplay in many areas. You can go into a first person shoot them up style, using Kazooie as a gun. So with all these changes you would think the game would be more fun, well it isn't. I don't know what it is, but for some reason I feel this game doesn't capture all the good points of the original. I had to get all the Jiggys and Notes in the first game, but I grudged through the last 15% of the second game, and then can back a month later to clean up the rest of the items.

Graphics
Beautiful graphics, some of the best ever in a Nintendo 64 game. Pop up and slowdown are a small problem, but with huge worlds and no expansion pack, you would expect it. The characters, and enemies look great, and so do the worlds.

Audio-Music
I liked the music a lot better than the original. In Banjo-Tooie, Banjo has a weird grunt, it just drives me crazy, I hate it. But the rest of the classic sound effects are there, including the goofy voices, which helped the first game to be a classic.

Replay
This game has nowhere near as much replay as Banjo-Kazooie, but still has some. You can re-watch all the cinema, and re-fight all the bosses over again. It's a very enjoyable game, but if you haven't played the first one, I recommend playing Banjo Kazooie first.

Buy-Rent
Buy is you like any platformer or action adventure game. Buy if you like games like Mario 64, or Donkey Kong 64.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 07/12/01, Updated 07/12/01