Review by Blind Guardian

"One of the best (and most underrated) Castlevania games out."

When I heard about Castlevania 64 coming out I was very excited, it was one of the main reasons for why I bought a Nintendo 64, because along with Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Street Fighter, Harvest Moon and Seiken Densetsu, Castlevania has always been one of my favorite video game series. And seeing as that this game would be in 3D had me really excited to play this game. But unfortunately, it wasnt all that great. It was very short and simple and it had very bad controls. So then came Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, the game that should have been released in the first place.

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness is the director's cut of Castlevania 64. In this version Konami added 2 new characters (a total of 4) better controling, more monsters to fight and more.

Story: 8/10 In this CV its still the basic vampire hunter goes to the castle to kill Dracula, but each character has their own little reasons of why they're going to defeat Drac. And also each character meets different characters that help affect their own story.

Gamplay: 8/10 Yes like all CV games there is plenty of action. You travel around killing all your favorite monsters and bosses like zombies, ghosts, The Harpy, Medusa, Frankenstein and much more. Plus in this version of CV there have been a lot more monsters added than there were in the first CV64.

Controls: 7/10 The controls in this version are much much better than in the first CV64 (especially at jumping) but still at times the analog stick can cause you to move in a wrong direction than you wanted, causing you to mess up.

Music: 9/10 The Castlevania series has always been know for having great music, and that includes this game. All the music fits in perfectly to give the game a dark atmosphere. There are also perfect sound effects in this game too, everything from the crack of a whip, to the moan of a zombie.

Graphics: 8/10. The graphics are a little bit better in this game than in CV64. They're a bit more smooth looking and everything has more detail. Plus if you have the Expansion Pak for your N64 it makes the game look even better.

Replay: 8/10. With 4 characters to play as (2 of which have 2 different endings) and a difficulty level to change later on. This game has many reasons to get out this game and play yet again.

Overall: 9/10. A lot of people say this game sucks. Maybe they think that because they only like the series in 2D, maybe they say it because they don't like the Nintendo 64. But despite what people say, its a very good game that takes the series in a different direction than before. Although I myself still like the 2D Castlevania games better, I still recommend you buy this game because it will provide plenty of hours of great gameplay.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/12/02, Updated 07/12/02