Review by YankeeJTC

"A fairly good multiplayer game on the N64"

It's hard to review Duke Nukem 64 for me, since it was one of the earlier N64 games and some titles like Turok 2 and Goldeneye have just been done better. Probably the best advice I can give you on this game is if you're going to buy it, do it for the multiplayer, because the one player mode just plain isn't good. There are 30 levels, and one or two secret levels, but it just doesn't stand well as a one player game. You may find yourself dying 15-20 times during a boss battle, just because they can kill you in 4 or 5 hits. As far as I'm concerned the multiplayer ranks right up there with Goldeneye and Turok 2, mostly because even with only 2 or 3 players you can add a "duke bot" which is a computer controlled player. Most of the time it isn't too smart, but it's better than nothing, which is why Goldeneye and Turok could've been better. You can play multiplayer in any level, although most of them stink (namely the spaceship levels.) Another plus is the co-op mode which certainly makes the 1 player missions a bit more exciting. Now for the bad points, where one of the big turnoffs is the graphics. Some people play this game for 2 minutes because they see how bad the graphics are compared to other games. The graphics for pretty much everything is gritty, and the enemies aren't 3-D at all, and the programmers used "sprites" for the enemies, which means it looks like something out of Parappa the Rapper, except it doesn't pop out at you. There is no depth perception either. As far as multiplayer games go, it doesn't get much better, but if this was a strictly one player game, they shouldn't have made a dollar off of this. Because of Goldeneye's release, this game should be considered a good buy if it's used, but for full price you might have to think about it.

Sound: 7/10 (not a lot of music, but the sound effects fit well)

Control: 8/10 (at first the "turok-like controls" seem difficult, but you can switch to different styles, and after a while I preferred the origional controls)

Fun Factor: 9/10 (If you have no friends who like this game it should be like a 6)

Overall: 8