Review by Shaggz 2 Dope

"A Great Game Well Translated To A Console"

First off I have to give 3D Realms a hand for converting one of the most controversial game of all time to a kid playable form on the N64.

The game is basically a classic first-person shooter for a new generation. I classify old-school first-person shooters by one fundamental fact: The enemies come to you. If you look at all the new shooters you have to actually walk through a lot in a level before you find a guy to actually pump full of lead.

Everything in this game worked together to make a great game. The graphics are primitive but really easy to look at and understand. The sound is basically the same as the computer version but seems a little bit improved on a console. The controls are easy to use and it's very easy to select weapons and items using the number pad. The game design I have to admit hasn't changed much but it still is a great game for the N64 since it came out the same time as Goldeneye and had to really compete, for status as a first-person.

The story of Duke Nukem 64 is that basically after destroying Dr. Proton's Robot Clan's and he is heading home he gets shot down by an alien race and has to fight his way through 32 levels to get to the final boss. If you have ever played Duke Nukem 3d: Atomic Edition on PC think of this as a censored version of that without strippers or quite as hardcore language.

I have to say that the coolest aspect of Duke Nukem 64 is the multiplayer modes death match which is self explanatory, and cooperative which means you can play the single player with up to four friends and you can set it so you can't kill your partners. This is good for friends that tend to use the heat-seeking missile launcher or the grenade launcher. This is why I have to consider this game a lot better than Goldeneye. The death match is also pretty fun since you can use the jetpacks in levels to give you the ability to shoot your opponent's in buildings by surprise

Duke Nukem 64 has to be one of the most underrated games of all time. Every aspect of it was better than Goldeneye, and yet it sold more! The only game I'd recommend from Rare is Conker’s Bad Fur Day, which is only cool because it satires cute animal characters. Anything else really was bad Perfect Dark, What was that and Donkey Kong 64 I never knew you could cram that many puzzles into one game.

Anyway Duke Nukem 64 is by far the best first-person shooter for any console. The only game on the same level is probably Doom 64 but I haven’t played that yet.

I hope that this review really helped in whether to buy this game or not.

You can also read my reviews of Rampage World Tour for the N64 and Lucky & Wild for the arcade.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/31/01, Updated 07/31/01