Review by matt91486

"And I hate shooting games!"

OPENING STATEMENT
Ninety-Five percent of the GameFAQs population have played Goldeneye 007. They know first hand that Goldeneye 007 is the greatest shooting games. But, if you fall into that last five percent, read this review. You will then know of Goldeneye’s greatness before actually playing the game.

GAMEPLAY--10
Goldeneye is a first person shooter. It is not part survival horror like Unreal, it is a more of a strategy/shooter. Without the mission elements included, Goldeneye 007 would just be another mindless shooter like Die Hard Trilogy. But it is the element of strategy that makes Goldeneye 007 the greatest shooter ever made.

The mission elements are varied. Sometimes you must deactivate a bomb. On other occasions, hacking into an advanced computer system is your goal. At times, stealing a key card from a scientist is the way to go. These mission objectives are inserted into your ‘to do list’ at different points throughout the game. Because, you must play through each level three times. The first time through, you will have the least objectives, and the easiest one. That level is called the Agent level. Next, comes the Secret Agent level. Some more of the more difficult objectives are thrown in to make your lives a little bit more difficult. Last comes the 007 Agent level. This is by far the most difficult. You have to complete all of the mission objectives.

Throughout Goldeneye 007 you will find things on the ground. These things on the ground are what makes Goldeneye tick. On these floors of the levels, you will find most everything that you need to complete your mission. You will find weapon power-ups and ammunition. You will find keys and pass cards. You will find Body Armor, and a host of other things. The floors of the level have now turned into the classic locale for shooting game items.

Shooting, of course, is at the heart of the beast of Goldeneye 007. Shooting is fairly easy. An entire other dimension in Goldeneye 007 can be opened through your handy-dandy watch. Most everything you need to complete the mission is found inside the various lists brought up when you open that watch. If you can use the watch effectively, you truly have the ability to become a Goldeneye 007 master.

GRAPHICS--8
The graphics are not as impressive as everything else about the game, but they are good nonetheless. There is one really, really annoying point about the graphics. Whenever you are playing, in single or multiplayer mode, all you can see of your character is their hand. Well, no matter if you are playing as a man or a woman, a tall or short person, a fat or thin person, or anything else, your hand is always James Bond’s hand. This is a truly bizarre thing that RARE did not fix. Whatever possessed them to leave that in the game is truly annoying.

The other major problem with the graphics is the frame rate. At times Goldeneye gets so choppy, you could stick a ripe tomato up to the screen and it would be sliced and diced into oblivion. This especially is a problem when one of three things is happening. The first is when characters are slapping each other. That, for some reason, as really horrible animation. Another one is when all four players, in a four player multiplayer match, are all in the same room together. The last is sort of similar to the second. It happens when, in Single Player Mode, you have about fifteen enemies running at you.

The coloring is done very realistically. Unlike Perfect Dark, Goldeneye tries to stay somewhat grounded in the real world. I would have to say that gray is by far the most prominent color in Goldeneye, followed closely by brown.

The levels are designed perfectly. There are plenty of nooks and crannies for those who like to hide in them. There are plenty of interesting things to blow to pieces. Most importantly, the levels all look different enough from each other to sway that sense of deja vu that, due to the care of RARE, you never get.

MUSIC--9
SOUND--8

In my opinion, this is the best music you will ever hear in a first person shooter, ever. The songs are classic James Bond songs for the most part. The few of them that are new do a spectacular job of staying in the James Bond vein, and sounding like old songs. And, most importantly, Goldeneye 007 features the classic James Bond song, that has been stuck in everyone’s mind for fifty years: The James Bond Theme! (And yes, that is it’s official name. I researched a lot to find that little tidbit of information.)

The sound effects are not quite as good as the music, but they are still impressive. The gun firing is quite realistic, but I was most impressed with the noises for the explosions. They sound as realistic as, well, as they do in the James Bond movies. They noise of breaking glass is also done quite well. I did notice though, that any human noises seemed to be a bit grainy.

CONTROL--8
I was not exactly enamored with the button system that RARE implemented in Goldeneye 007. Well, actually I liked it first, but I liked Crus’n USA’s button system before playing any other racing games on the Nintendo 64. Having ‘Z’ be the trigger, and ‘A’ change the weapons makes absolutely no sense to me. I thought ‘A’ was the primary button, and ‘Z’ was a secondary button. So why is ‘Z’ then performing a primary task? Tell me why!

FUN--10
This, at least in Multiplayer Mode, may just be the most fun you will ever have on your Nintendo 64. Or any console for that matter! I suggest you buy this game just to play the Multiplayer Mode. Most everything in the Multiplayer Mode is at least somewhat customizable. Plus, if you enter a code, you can get an enormous spectrum of characters from the extensive James Bond universe to play as. The missions are fun as well (The Archives Mission is my personal favorite.), but multiplayer death matches are where Goldeneye 007 is at! Of course it helps that Goldeneye 007 is based off my all-time favorite movie, the 1996 James Bond film.

CHALLENGE--MEDIUM TO HIGH
If there ever was a game that ‘Varies with Difficulty Level’ would have been appropriate, it would have to be Goldeneye 007. But, on an overall scale with all missions on each of the three difficulty levels included, I came to the conclusion that Goldeneye 007 rated about midway between the Medium and High difficulty levels. A formidable challenge, yes, but nothing impossible by a long shot.

REPLAY VALUE--HIGH
Each of you will have one or two favorite missions. You will probably play them over and over and over again. But, other than those couple missions, you will probably never play the Missions after you beat them once on each difficulty level. You will, however, play the Multiplayer Mode constantly until your dying day. The Multiplayer Mode will keep you always coming back for more.

PROS
*Follows the movie closely.
*Multiplayer capabilities are alone worth the purchase.
*Classic James Bond tunes and sound effects.

CONS
*All characters have James Bond’s hand.
*Lasers only normally used in one level.
*Beating the target times on all missions is very difficult.

CLOSING STATEMENT
As I have directly said many times, and implied countless others, the Multiplayer Mode is reason enough to by Goldeneye 007. But, the fact that the missions are so worthwhile and fulfilling just adds to the prestige. A must buy if there ever was one.

OVERALL--10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/16/01, Updated 07/18/01