Review by Darkstorm16

"A revolutonary game"

Introduction

This was my first Harvest Moon game and it introduced me to the series.This game made me pull out my old Nintendo 64, dust it off and play it so many times and I will never give it away. This is how good this game is. If you don't believe me, just read this review and find out for yourself. From this point foreword is where I say Harvest Moon just got better and better. This introduced so many different ideas for the future games. Some of the new ideas include introducing sheep, when getting married, your wife helps around and also collecting recipes. Even though 2 out of 3 was kept in the future games. This game sure is a milestone. The story begins with the death of your grandfather and his wish was to leave you this run down farm, a dog and a field of dreams of lots and lots of money. Now it's your job to get it cleaned up, make it flourished get some animals and get it looking better than a one room chicken coup within 3 years and 1 month to do all this and try to get married , have a child and make friends with just about everyone in the village. This truly is the most difficult task of all time and basically if you can do this...I shall crown you the video game champ.

Sound 8/10

The sound isn't really too bad. I've heard better, but then again the music isn't going to be as good as let's say "The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time" of course. It is better than the past Harvest Moon music....well from what I've heard. Each season has a complete different tune to it and at night it gets so quiet that you can hear your footsteps hitting the ground. Even the sound of your horse galloping is so clear. At times you can even hear birds chirping and when the cicadas chirping it is almost as if you can imagine and feel the heat from the summer sun.

Game play 10/10

So your probably right now saying to yourself "Gee, this sure isn't convincing. I might not try to get this game". Well this will change it. The game play is so wonderful. This game may not be violent but it still is great for relaxing.The fishing experience is perfect. It involves precise timing to reel in the hopefully the Large Fish and what comes out.........a small fish. Then when you use the tools the time between when you hit the button and the time it takes to actually do that command on the game is so small that it doesn't even hesitate or delay your actions. During Spring-Fall you can try to balance things out by either fishing, growing crops and making friends. Then during winter is the perfect time to catch up on fishing mainly or you can always go into the minds because since it's winter nothing will grow unless you have a greenhouse.

graphic 9/10

Even though this kinda bothered me a little bit when I first played it, I (after a while) changed my perspective. Despite the fact that the characters look like they belong to Weeble Wobbles, the graphics were good at the time. The graphic is just about equal to that of Back To Nature. Some people complains about the graphics it wasn't really no different than the PS One graphic. The graphic is good for the N64 though even though you can't really compare it to "The Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time" or "Super Mario 64" because those are completely different series and you can't really compare 2 different things.

replay value 10/10

This game has a lot of replay value. If you didn't manage to get the final Photo for your photo album and don't mind it, well then you can try to get all that you missed. Other than that you can always see how much money you can get by the end of year 50. This game never and I do mean never ends. There's even secrets to explore as you find new methods of earning fast and easy money or finding stuff that is worth 100's of gold coins. Fishing is one of the reason why this game has such great replay value. You can spend most of your precious time fishing and relaxing.

conclusion

Overall if I was to either rent or buy, I would say buy. It may still be $30 new but it's worth it. I would recommend this game for any Harvest Moon fan or any newcomers to this series. This game will never end because there is just so much to do. You can't really rent this game either because if you rent it for the weekend you'll only get a feeling of what this game is like and then next thing you know you want more. You also get to see where the Harvest Moon series started to get better. This was indeed one of the best games in the Harvest Moon series I have ever played and if it wasn't for this game, some of the Harvest Moon wouldn't be as good as what they are today. So to all the Harvest Moon fans please get some time and thank this game by going back and playing it again.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/12/06